• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Part 3 of Does the Good Doctor Get Lucky

11 posts in this topic

Not an NGC holder so I didn't post it here but Toned Morgans in PCGS holder & bodybag that I posted on the other board if anyone is interested. Morgan collectors & tone experts comments appreciated. web page

Both coins are tough calls. I have seen this type of toning for many, many years. However, being the type of toning is on boths sides of both coins, it makes me suspicious. I would have to see the coin up close and determine if it has an original patina(skin). First reaction is that the top coin has a real reverse, and an enhanced obverse. Bottom coin looks AT, but it's really close. Both coins would pass through most grading services most of the time.

TRUTH

OK, I'm posting this without reading the comments from the other thread. If I'm repeating what someone said or pointing out something that has been discounted, sorry.

Obverse #1: The colors don't blend well together. It's like nice blue/dark line/red. This is most true in front of the face.

Reverse #1: Typical NT colors.

The obverse and reverse brilliant patterns do not match up. Dark blue/green color on the obverse, yet much lighter green on the reverse.

I think someone did some AT work on the obverse of this coin. The biggest problems I have are that the obverse and reverse colors are not the same and there is no progression (blending) of colors on the obverse.

Obverse #2: I don't think the green color is as funky as it looks. A little too much light to bring out the colors is distorting them a little. The colors blend better, but not perfectly. There appears to be some progression of the colors.

Reverse #2: Colors seem to blend very well.

Both obverse and reverse color appears to be identical. The obverse and reverse brilliant patterns also do not match up.

I don't think I would buy either one of these raw, but I would be more likely to buy #2 than #1.

Thanks for the words TT & gmarguli.

A few folks have told me that I was trying to discredit NGC & that I had a PCGS bias.

I'm discrediting AT coins, it's not a PCGS vs NGC thing.

I made some excellent points about the 04-O's. I'm more qualified to comment on Morgans than the Commems that were recently posted.

Another thing, any toned dealer or collector knows it's very difficult to find well matched coins. Most collectors have a hodge-podge of coins that look different from each other. 3 nearly identical coins with the same date & mm bought raw from a dealer in Houston TX is strange indeed.

Dog97,

I for one know that you don't care about holders when it comes to doctored coins, and I think most people on this board are the same way. Doesn't matter whose holder it ends up in, it's bad for the hobby. And there are plenty of doctored coins in BOTH major services' holders.

Amen Keith.

All we've heard from the majors is a bunch of lip service about secret task forces, possees and other feel good measures. Are they actually doing anything or just having their secret meetings back at the conclave doing a bunch of talking?

It's beneficial, educational & healthy for the hobby to question these questionable coins; the grading companies have buy-back policies to take these coins off the market and the only people harmed and discredited are the snakes who chose to associate themselves with this junk.

I'll admit I'm biased with an agenda, and my agenda is to keep the coin collector from getting shanked. smile.gif

I owned the second coin (bought it from Jason Stevens) and it looked real, albeit, WILD, in hand.

The first one has a bluish/green that is a close duplicate of the second, but is a bit washed out.

Why not post it here? I hadn't realized only NGC encapsulated coins could be discussed here; I'm here to discuss all coins, should I desire.

Well Tom that's a good question.

It seems like there are people that want to turn everything into a PCGS vs NGC thing because of personal reasons and it ends up being a bashing & flaming thread so I usually post my PCGS issues on their board & my NGC issues here, that way it stays on topic.

Going by Dogs pics alone of those 2 pieces, which may or may not represent what the actual coins would look like in hand as far as coloration, etc, both of those 1904's are highly questionable IMO to put it nicely.

dragon