• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"I think it's cool because we get to see a coin with the first president on it"

20 posts in this topic

From the latest idiotic yahoo news story:

"I think it's cool because we get to see a coin with the first president on it," said 7-year-old Jack Garbus, an avid coin collector and second-grader from Valhalla, N.Y., who was taking advantage of a school snow delay to be at the event.

(1) That was no doubt the rationale behind the presidential dollar series: "uhh...it'd be cool if we put the presidents on dollar coins"

(2) There already is a coin with the first president on it.

Someone on one of the boards (I forget who) asked the excellent question: "Why does the mint/congress/whoever think that a coin that was never popular to begin with will suddenly become popular just because they slap another picture on it?"

Someone on one of the boards (I forget who) asked the excellent question: "Why does the mint/congress/whoever think that a coin that was never popular to begin with will suddenly become popular just because they slap another picture on it?"
I doubt they think it will become popular for commerce. However, my guess is that they do think they will make a lot of money from selling collectible versions. My guess is that they may hate "First Day of Release" because those coins are pulled from circulation and if people are spending money on those, they may be less likely to buy US Mint collectibles. Another place where the TPGs and US Mint may be in conflict.

"I think it's cool because we get to see a coin with the first president on it," said 7-year-old Jack Garbus, an avid coin collector and second-grader from Valhalla, N.Y., who was taking advantage of a school snow delay to be at the event.

(1) That was no doubt the rationale behind the presidential dollar series: "uhh...it'd be cool if we put the presidents on dollar coins"

Are you making fun of a 7 year old? screwy.gif

Are you making fun of a 7 year old? screwy.gif

I would make fun of a 7-year-old if they claim to be "an avid coin collector" and didn't know that there's already a coin with the first president on it. But I never liked children ... Christo_pull_hair.gif

This just shows you how really out of touch our government is with the people it governs.

MM screwy.gif

This just shows you how really out of touch our government is with the people it governs.
I'm not sure I would come to that conclusion. My conclusion is that there may be other motivations at work that we may not know about. If you just looked at whether the coins would be used in circulation, then the Morgan Dollar would be in the same category of the government being out of touch with its people but there were other motivations at work.

I have been thinking about this. I can see the Mint's logic. State quarters were very successful, so if they have a coin where the overse design chages with every new issue, it might succeed as well. I doubt they will get spent as much as they had hoped, however.

I doubt they will get spent as much as they had hoped, however.
My guess is that business strikes for this first year will be hoarded like the 1883 nickel.

I doubt they will get spent as much as they had hoped, however.
My guess is that business strikes for this first year will be hoarded like the 1883 nickel.

I'd agree with that statement. I'm hoarding them already and they've been out here for less than 24 hours insane.gif

I'm only hoarding the ones I sent to NGC. The others are heading to cash registers around the greater Charlotte area. In fact I need to go pick-up my shirt laundry... it will be paid for with handfull of Washington Dollars.

bsshog PM me. I need one.

Here's a scan of one of my rolls

Hey Chad, Hoot is posting on "thoughts on presidential dolars in hand". His bank rolls look just like yours and mine and he says his are Denver mint. I think this is gonna get confusing trying to distinguish what mint anyone is getting. If a person has one each of these, how do we determine which one is D or P???

(this has nothing to do with our agreement on the rolls, that still goes)