• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1999 silver Proof Set Question

13 posts in this topic

What element about the '99 silver Proof Set makes the premium so much higher than the 2001? Mintages from both years are in the 800 K range with the '99 only minting only 85 K less.

Which is the coin that helps the premium the most?

And while on the subject, why are both of those years worth so much more than the silver issues of the previous 8 issues when their mintage is more than all but the '92 and '98?

Would it be better to leave these in the OGP or maybe something like the NGC Multi-Coin Holder?

So the people buying 1999 OGP sets are hoping that the Delaware hasn't been picked over already? Seems unlikely....

I get 5 set per year of Unc., Proof and Silver Proof and I haven't busted anything out of any set yet. That was why one of my questions was about either leaving as is or going to a Mulit-Coin holder.

So the people buying 1999 OGP sets are hoping that the Delaware hasn't been picked over already? Seems unlikely....
I get 5 set per year of Unc., Proof and Silver Proof and I haven't busted anything out of any set yet. That was why one of my questions was about either leaving as is or going to a Mulit-Coin holder.
If this was the case, I wouldn't expect to see 1999 silver proof sets that have obviously been opened selling for so much. Many of these sets include pictures of the opened set and don't say anywhere that they are still mint sealed and yet are still selling for much more than other years. Mint sealed sets sell for even more, but it seems opened sets also sell for huge premiums. Maybe people are just overly optimistic?

I think it has to do with them being the first year of the state quarters. A lot of people did not get interested until the second year, then realized they needed 1999 to be a complete set of 50. Simple supply and demand. I think the same thing will happen in a few years with the silver and gold buffs of 2001 and 2006.

MM cool.gif

OK, if these are sets you yourself purchased directly from the mint, in other words, you are the only non-mint personel to look at them, then you might have a PF70 on your hands. I woulf get them individually slabbed rather than multi-coin. That way you don't end up with a mix-match of grades.

Yup, I'm the only one that's even looked at them since they left the mint. I think I'll try it and see what happens. If one comes up 70, I'll be sure and post. thumbsup2.gif

I believe this comes from the Delaware quarter.

The Delaware in PF 70 ucam is very scarce (I think)

That is where the difference comes from.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I just looked at the NGC population report. The Delaware clad has 452 PF70 and the silver 196. That is more than several others.

I just looked myself. The 1999 silver 70 ucam is the fewest among the 5 state quarters of that year. Although it's not as rare as one that would have a pop of less than 10, it is still listed as $1880.