• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Word on 'Market Acceptable'

9 posts in this topic

This term really should not even exist IMO, and was either made up by the grading services or collectors who were not sure what they were looking at but it seemed ok to them, hence market acceptable.

Whatever the case, the term 'market acceptable' should be banned from numismatics altogether as should the terms 'commercial unc.' and 'gently cleaned'.

dragon

What about a coin with little luster due to dipping? I've seen a ton of mark free Morgans in slabs with little luster and MS62 grades.They would have been MS64-66 without being overdipped. Isn't that market acceptable?

What about the early Bust coins. You won't find too many non-cleaned ones.

If you remove all the "minor problems" you won't have many early coins in slabs.

Whatever the case, the term 'market acceptable' should be banned from numismatics altogether as should the terms 'commercial unc.' and 'gently cleaned'.

I can't stand the term "commercial unc", especially when it's applied to barely AU coins.

I don't like the term, "Numismatic Industry". But, this term as well as Dragon's pet peeve is with us and won't be going anywhere soon, I'm afraid.

Boy, the time thumbing worn Buffalos into coin folders are kind of gone, aren't they? sorry.gif

dragon -

I understand your point when this term is used in regard to toned coins. And I can't say I like it any better than you do. But how many people are there here on this Forum - or any Forum for that matter - that have submitted coins that they know have genuine NT - only to receive them back in a bodybag ? I'd wager quite a few.

It was not so long ago that "blast white" coins were all the rage. But then toned coins began to take over in popularity. At least it certainly seemed that way to anyone who frequented the coin Forums, auctions or shows. And when something becomes popular - it garners attention and brings prices. And in the case of toned coins this of course leads to a large increase in AT coins. Just as an observer - that's when I seem to recall all the complaints about NT coins being bodybagged.

Then in an effort to keep the customers happy - the grading services began to slab coins that some collectors thought were AT - and "market acceptable" was born. At least in regard to toning.

The term has been used long before that in regard to grading though. For how is market grading defined if not by market acceptable ?

The fact of the matter is - when it comes to toning - there are going to be times when the grading companies just don't know if a coin is AT or not. If the consensus is AT - it gets bagged. If the consensus is NT - it gets slabbed. It doesn't really matter if it is AT or NT - they take their best shot and slab it or don't. End result is some NT coins get bagged - some AT coins get slabbed. And if it is in a reputable slab - somebody is going to buy it. And if somebody buys it - that makes it market acceptable.

Time for an 893offtopic1.gif

When I was offered the 401 K plan, I asked who were the people who would be doing the investing. They couldn't say. But yet, take my money, invest it for my future.

You don't need to understand the system, only to put your trust, faith and money into it, that would be nonsense. But it's not until you get taken for the ride and find out at the end, that there's no prize.

Who watches who? Can we organize?

If not, were back to faith again, aren't we!

If you or I can't tell the difference between NT and AT but someone else thinks they can then what's the point!

Oops, back to faith we go again.

But this is all we have and all that we will ever be. What more is there to life then to know that there is at least one person out there who can say if it is or not. That's right! Only then will I believe it. For the moment anyway. Until that faith is sold and the money is in my pocket. Then we can start all over again. So now the game is called, "Who's next?"

Leo 893blahblah.gif

Pet peave, or not, the term "market acceptable" is deeply seated in the numismatic community and is not likely to be vanquished by any one collector. Everyone in the color or attractively toned community understand the term and it has become a part of the vocabulary.

for me like the mob of ancient rome they made or broke a ruler so to speak

market acceptable rules the market and currently there are many coins that are market acceptable to many so they get holdered and assigned a certain grade designation or whatever

some i agree with and some i do not just like some current market acceptible coins i like and agree with others i think it is crazy i guess there will be hell to pay when all the problematic market acceptable/overgraded coins out there get to the point of being illiquid unless the owners are willing to take a huge hit

but i have seen this many times in the past and always will see this in the up and coming future!! which i guess is okie with me such is the coin game as you pays your money and takes your chances i hope everyone makes all the right decisions!

market acceptable for me is to show me a coin and tell me the price and then i will tell you if i think it is market acceptable to me........or not................lol

michael