• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Everybody Else Having A Hard Time Posting On These Forums?

29 posts in this topic

I'm on DSL and to enter a post or even go from thread to thread or category to category takes up to a minute . It's always slow. All I can get from the mods is something along the lines that there is a lot of data to download. That implies that other forums that aren't slow don't have a lot of data. Well, we know that is just not true.

Jerry

---42 seconds from the time I hit enter until I was returned---

DSL claims to be 5-10x faster than regular dial-up, but that isn't saying much. I use Roadrunner through my cable TV provider. It is 50x faster than DSL. If you have cable TV in your area, you might inquire if they provide internet service.

Most cable TV companies have contracts with local area governments (city, county, etc.), and they usually have to provide services to meet the needs of the local population. If they are not offering internet access in your area and there are enough people who want it, you might try petitioning your local government to encourage your cable provider to upgrade their services. If they won't do this, they may just lose the contract when it comes time for renewal.

Chris

Well, I guess it's just me. I don't have the problem on PCGS, CoinPeople, or CoinCommunity. And, it just happens when I'm signed in. If lurking it doesn't slow down. Well, guess I'll just enjoy the lurking.

Jerry

Most cable TV companies have contracts with local area governments (city, county, etc.), and they usually have to provide services to meet the needs of the local population. If they are not offering internet access in your area and there are enough people who want it, you might try petitioning your local government to encourage your cable provider to upgrade their services. If they won't do this, they may just lose the contract when it comes time for renewal.Chris

Being a cable tv manager, if cable is in your area and has high speed internet, yes much faster and reliable than DSL. As to contract losing if can't service you, not gonna happen. Cable companies have a feasibility clause in city franchise contracts that allow them the option of not having to service all residents within city limits if existing cable is not there and it costs too much too run it. In most cases tho', the company will run the cable always trying to get new customers.

It's so weird. If I'm not logged in it takes a second if that to go from topic to topic. As soon as I log in...which takes me forever...it's like molasses. I hate it and get to frustrated to enjoy this place. Good luck to everybody. I can't take it.

Jerry

• Administrator
It's so weird. If I'm not logged in it takes a second if that to go from topic to topic. As soon as I log in...which takes me forever...it's like molasses. I hate it and get to frustrated to enjoy this place. Good luck to everybody. I can't take it.

Jerry

This sounds like something on your local computer. Perhaps it's a security program that doesn't like referrer checking, which is something the boards do to prevent spamming.

At the bottom of each page you'll find a line of text that reads something like:

"Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 8 queries. Zlib compression enabled."

Here, what does this line typically say for you when logged in? This will tell us if the server is slow at the time you are using it, or if the delay has more to do with your connection.

MORE INFO:

This is how long the page you're looking at took the server to compose and start sending to you. So, this page I'm on right now to make a post looks like this from a timeline view point:

Request sent to server

0.002 seconds spent by server getting data from the database

0.013 seconds spent by server generating the page itself.

TOTAL SERVER TIME: 0.015 seconds.

This tells me how much time the server took to deliver.

As an idea of what performance looks like on my end, I have a browser tool which then tells me two other facts in addition.

I received the first byte of information from my page request after 0.938 seconds.

I received the last byte of information from my page request after 3.141 seconds.

What I know from this is that in this case on this page, the server was pretty fast. Most of my "wait" time came from waiting for the data to make its way across the internet. 3.1 seconds is pretty normal.

I got this going from the US Coin board and hitting the PMG button.

Generated in 27.395 seconds in which 27.362 seconds were spent on a total of 45 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

If I use the back button right now it loads in less than a second but this is not always true. At times even using the back button will take 15 to 20 seconds and sometimes fail.

As a normal my system runs really fast. It only runs slow here but not all the time. I keep thinking it's something to do with my settings but I have about gave up looking and just live with it. smile.gif

The slowest part for me is getting to the Main Index. Posts also take a little long to come up (both new and revised). The photo feature using outside vendors has hosts, I find a lot easier and better. thumbsup2.gif

• Administrator
I got this going from the US Coin board and hitting the PMG button.

Generated in 27.395 seconds in which 27.362 seconds were spent on a total of 45 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

If I use the back button right now it loads in less than a second but this is not always true. At times even using the back button will take 15 to 20 seconds and sometimes fail.

As a normal my system runs really fast. It only runs slow here but not all the time. I keep thinking it's something to do with my settings but I have about gave up looking and just live with it. smile.gif

I never see this kind of behavior. Occasionally I will see a page load a little slow just due to a coincidence of server traffic, but that spike in traffic is usually gone right away and the next page I hit moves right along. Most pages load for me in under 5 seconds, sometimes much faster.

The main index pages do tend to be the slowest as they're busy tallying up the new post counts across every board and summarizing them. But I just loaded that page and got this:

Generated in 4.849 seconds in which 4.831 seconds were spent on a total of 47 queries.

Do you guys ALWAYS see these slow pages, or is it one in say 10 or 20 page loads?

I see these sometimes slow loading of pages as well. It seems inconsistent except that I will say it happens about as often at home (cable modem) as it does at my office (behind corporate firewall, etc)

Man, here I was thinking it was a side-effect from all the "ludes" taken in the 60's

Note: The name Quaalude was derived from the phrase "quiet interlude" you know, that quiet time while re-loading.

Glad to find out this information...thanks all.

Don't do drugs, drugs are bad...collect coins instead.

Do you guys ALWAYS see these slow pages, or is it one in say 10 or 20 page loads?

Besides the main index, I'd say it's about 1 in 15. The main index, though always takes about ten seconds.

• Administrator

And that's 10 seconds total delivery time, or does that line at the bottom about server performance indicate 10 seconds?

I use the second one. Here is the line at the bottom:

"Generated in 7.067 seconds in which 7.046 seconds were spent on a total of 43 queries. Zlib compression enabled"

That was pretty quick. Sometimes it takes much longer. I always assumed that it was due to the 1/4 million unread posts (literally) in the comics section.

Also, when you say the main index, are you seeing this page:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php

Or this page:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/categories.php?Cat=0

It just took me a few attempts (over about a half hour) to get the site to load at all. I kept getting page not available. Every other site I tried was fine.

The first page (one I use) took a little over 10 seconds (average is 6-8 seconds).

The second page was almost 15 seconds.

Hi Architecht. About two hours ago I got this getting to this thread.

Generated in 17.018 seconds in which 16.984 seconds were spent on a total of 51 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Once here I hit each of your links and they timed out before they loaded, (about a minute).

After that I could not get back to the NGC site at all.

Had a few drinks and came back. Everything loads in a second or two. Crazy stuff. smile.gif

Just got this going from tangents to PMG menu.

Generated in 21.129 seconds in which 21.1 seconds were spent on a total of 46 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

Is it just me? insane.gif

Page loaded in 1.542 secs and I am on cable, which I agree is faster than DSL but it sure isn't more reliable. Comcast is constantly down in my area or even with a brand new modem I have to constantly repower it up.

Main page took 15 seconds to load.