• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the Good Doctor get lucky sometimes? PART 2

18 posts in this topic

Few seemed to have any opinion on the possibly AT Morgan I posted last week. Maybe more people here know Commems than Morgans. Here we have what looks to me to be blantant AT from the same eBay seller.

web page

The buyer leaves feedback:Praise : Highly recommended!

In reality he must not have liked it & returned it because it shows up again, holdered this time.

web page

Am I missing something? Does anybody think this coin is original?

In my opinion, absolutely AT, but after being told a certain Bridgeport was holdered by NGC, anything goes.

NGC, PLEASE STOP HOLDERING AT COINS.

TRUTH

I would think AT from the pictures. Please note, however, that the seller states that the colors in the image are not accurate and that the true colors are not pastel-like, rather, they are bold. So, I guess I have no idea what the color of the coin truly is. Either way, I don't like it and wouldn't buy it.

Im going to say it is real, but that the coins don't look anything like the pictures. I think the colors are there, but very dark and you need a strong blast of light and some Photoshop experience to bring out the colors.

Tom when he says all that I think he means the coin is not dark like the straight on shot of it in the slab. When he says "The following photos were taken prior to encapsulation by NGC. This is EXACTLY how the coin will look when you hold it in your hands." I can vouch for that statement as I have actually had his coins in my hands and they look very much like his pictures.His pictures are more accurate than a lot of sellers with their souped up pictures.

I find the Bridgeport that TT mentioned to be more credibile than this thing. Not only is the blue & red color strange but the pattern is too. I try to think imagine the step by step process of how this coin toned like this and can't think of any kind of holder, album, roll or bag that gives this pattern. Not to mention that it looks identical to the hundreds of cooked coins this guys has sold in the last year.

We automatically think that because a coin is holdered that means it's natural or original (real) but it doesn't necessarily mean that, it just means that it is Market Acceptable. Is this what the toned market has become; AT coins that look like ones in holders and holdered coins that look AT?

If I'm missing something somebody feel free to point it out & I'll be thankful for the education.

In my opinion, the toning on this coin is questionable. I would need to look at this coin in person to tell for sure. One thing I am certain of, and that is that the image has been tweaked.

I am surprised this one got holdered- it's not nearly as good of a job as the guy that does all the brightly colored crescent toned morgans that get into the big guy's slabs. mike smile.gif

Fake. Fake. Fake, fake, fake. Not just the coin is the "tell" but the Seller's history (the original Seller, not the second one) is the final giveaway.

(Greg- NGC holdered my coin- from the same hoard you saw at Long Beach. Does that now mean it is "real"? PCGS holdered them along with ANACS (and SEGS and PCI... I know... I know... but the point is NO one has rejected them since that same day debacle at Long Beach).

In the first auction, I think pictures #3 & #4 are what this coin is going to look like. Muted dark toning with a ton of color hidden in the dark toning. This is fairly common on GWC commems.

The second auction reads like hype. It's #3 photo is probably what the coin looks like. Get it in the light and the colors will come out. Get it in a average lit room and it's drab and lifeless.

I've seen a TON of these commems with dark, yet very colorful toning like the pictures I pointed out.

(Greg- NGC holdered my coin- from the same hoard you saw at Long Beach. Does that now mean it is "real"? PCGS holdered them along with ANACS (and SEGS and PCI... I know... I know... but the point is NO one has rejected them since that same day debacle at Long Beach).

No, it just means that it was market acceptable or they let one slip thru or perhaps it was real. I've seen lots of coins I felt were AT in reputable slabs. The number of AT Morgans out there in slabs is alarming to me.

There are coins in slabs that I KNOW are AT because I know their history and who did the job. On the other forums I told a story about a MONSTER toned Ike that got slabbed by PCGS many years ago. It was completely AT. I saw the before coin and I know who commissioned the work to be done and I was told who did it. Funny thing is that the guy who commissioned it is now a well known coin doctor himself. shocked.gif

In this case, I think it means that the photos are lying to us. I do not trust the photos of the first seller. Why should I assume that of all his coins this one looks like his pictures?

gmarguli is dead on when he says "Get it in the light and the colors will come out. Get it in a average lit room and it's drab and lifeless."

I bought a "CRAZY RED GREEN MONSTER TONED! 1897 MORGAN" and yes indeed it was toned and it was a 97 Morgan so I couldn't complain. I also had to outbid 8 or 9 low feedback newbies for the privilege of owning this work of art @ $47.

The seller furnished 2 sets of pictures, 1 straight on shot set that looked brown & drab & almost likelike and 1 set with the magical 3 degree tilt that lit it up like a demented Christmas tree. The bottom pictures are mine from where I tossed the coin on a flatbed scanner and propped it on a pencil. The coin actually looks like all 3 sets of pictures if this will help get a better idea of what the coin vs the seller's pictures look like. It was very much AT.

web page

[web page

Dog,

That is a Tonecoin2003 special huh? I hope youi will at least hit him with a neg. at 11:59 on the 90th day, a really nasty one too, I can't stand people like him.

dragon

That is a Tonecoin2003 special huh? I hope youi will at least hit him with a neg. at 11:59 on the 90th day, a really nasty one too, I can't stand people like him.

It's a myth that the 90th day is the last day to leave feedback. eBay provides a MINIMUM of 90 days to leave feedback. Frequently you can leave feedback 100+ days after the end of the auction.

Are you sure about that gmarguli?? This nitwit (a1cigarlighters.com) on Ebay just left my girlfriend a neg. on the 90th day for an item she paid for with Paypal and never received from this person, and she could not even respond and leave him a neg. in return.

dragon

Are you sure about that gmarguli?? This nitwit (a1cigarlighters.com) on Ebay just left my girlfriend a neg. on the 90th day for an item she paid for with Paypal and never received from this person, and she could not even respond and leave him a neg. in return.

Yes. Here is what eBay says: Always leave feedback within 90 days after the end of the listing. After 90 days, the item may be removed from eBay, and you'll no longer be able to leave feedback.

I'm sure that many times the auction will still be available after 90 days.