• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1920-S Saint-Gaudens MS-67 (Heritage) Finest Known

8 posts in this topic

I don't do Gold, but the auction article keeps mentioning $10 Saint-Gaudens???

St. Gaudens did both the $10 Indian gold eagle and the $20 Striding Liberty (which is on the current gold bullion) gold double eagle.

Well now, see there, you mention Saint-Gaudens and you think, well I do anyway, $20 gold pieces. It never even dawned on me that he also did the $10 Indian and that they are also refered to his namesake. Power of the press I guess.

Thanks SkyMan!

(now you see why I don't do Gold, besides, my wife would eventually turn it ninto jewelry)

Ah...the 20-S Eagle. jom's dream coin....in ANY grade. This particular coin is astonishing. Akers wrote a book on all of the 20th Cent gold series about 15 years ago and he talked a lot about this particular coin of Duckor's. I just wish the sale was out here in CA so I could view it. frown.gif

jom

I feel your pain Jom, the 20-S is extremely tough in both series. Also, I believe Akers called this coin "virtually perfect." Even with Heritage's photo quality, the coin looks superb.

This was the time period when T. Louis Comparette, curator of the Philadelphia Mint coin collection, was acquiring just-issued coins for some of his "museum" and other clients. At times, he was able to select examples from newly struck coins before they were shipped. On other occasions he took pieces left over from the pyx coins. In 1920 and 1921 he got $20, and in Feb 1921 and again in 1922 he acquired eagles from San Francisco from the pyx coins. He first selected pieces for the mint's collection, then sold others (at face value) to several museum collections. (The Smithsonian NNC example is likely one Comparette selected.)

The 1920-S Heritage has could have been one of these former pyx coins. Unfortunately all of Comparette's letters and records were destroyed soon after his death in 1922 so we can only speculate.

I feel your pain Jom, the 20-S is extremely tough in both series. Also, I believe Akers called this coin "virtually perfect." Even with Heritage's photo quality, the coin looks superb.

There does seem to be a few marks but they might just be amplified due to the photo.

One thing the write up talks about when comparing this date to the 30-S eagle. It said that the 20-S is rarer in "all" grades. This is not true as you can probably find a 20-S in a circulated grade far easier (albiet more expensive) than you can a 30-S. Since the 30-S is cheaper I've tried to find one but since most didn't circulate AU coins are problems coins more than anything. A 20-S can be found...I just wish I had the dough to buy one....they keep going up in price every year. Grrr..... frustrated.gif

jom

A 20-S can be found...I just wish I had the dough to buy one....they keep going up in price every year. Grrr..... frustrated.gif

Then buy two now, hold both for a few years, then sell one and the one you keep will be free.

You can thank me for this useful info by buying me lunch at Long Beach.