• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2003 D Lincoln Cent double date discovery!

21 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

Exciting news! The second 2003 date is stamped directly above the original 2003 numbers! I'll have some pictures up soon. Is this a new cent discovery?

Chuck are you listening?

Regards,

A very excited Leo 893whatthe.gif Seriously!

I found a 2003-D Jefferson Nickel with DDR. But no one believes it because of the new method of making dies has made it impossible to have a Double die.

The coin is still doubled no matter what they believe.

Glen

Hey! What's everybody doing.......checking your mint sets!!! 27_laughing.gifI need some feedback here! What do you think?These are the best pics I can come up with for now. In this next pic, let me explain what I'm seeing here.The first zero is easy to see but I'm seeing a upper inside arc of a 2nd zero where the inside arrow is pointing. In the upper right side of the pic is another zero or the 2nd zero of the date. There is more to that 2nd zero then the picture shows. The 2 arrows are pointing to the segment of the top right stroke of the zero but I can see the bottom of that zero and it comes up slightly on the left side. I can see small segments of the 2 but I can barely make out the 3. The 2 zero's look like they're too far apart but some sense can be made with that underlying zero of the first zero.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Leo

I don't mean to bust your hopes, but I highly suspect it is bubbling of the material used to produce these coins. Bubbles are common.

I saw that because according to how the mint maked the dies, it should be impossible for this to occur. Of course, two headed and two tailed coins and coins without mint marks are also impossible to occur. smirk.gif

Hi Greg

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm looking at two raised stamped 0's directly above the date. I just can't get a better picture with it. The first zero is in the greatest detail where a 2nd zero can be easlily seen inside the first zero. The second zero to the right of the first, 75% of that zero is visible.

More later,

Leo

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif DUH! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

My 15yo daughter came home and I was showing her the coin. Then I slid the coin a bit in it's mint cellophane and well, I think you can figure out the rest. My daughter now thinks I'm a dork. 27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

Don't feel bad. Had this been KINGKOIN'S discovery it would be another 20 posts and a few more days before he'd have discovered it!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(Just kidding Pat. Haven't seen you around lately and am hoping this Thread will bring you out.)

Don't feel bad. Had this been KINGKOIN'S discovery it would be another 20 posts and a few more days before he'd have discovered it!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(Just kidding Pat. Haven't seen you around lately and am hoping this Thread will bring you out.)

27_laughing.gif

It really got the best of me. I moved that coin in the mint cellopane and that zero was by the D mm. Talk about guy getting a clue, that was it! I went and took pictures, posted and everything. 27_laughing.gif I've been moving the coins in the cellophanes for years when grading and this happens. It's insane.gif.

Leo

KOTJ,

It could be a double struck in collar cent. Sometimes it is hard to tell. Your best bet is to send the coin in for grading.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

The coin probably grades MS68 or 69. If your interested at $25 let me know. Otherwise I'll just hold onto it. stooges.gif

Leo

lol27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif DUH! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

My 15yo daughter came home and I was showing her the coin. Then I slid the coin a bit in it's mint cellophane and well, I think you can figure out the rest. My daughter now thinks I'm a dork. 27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

I did that when I was taking pictures of my Lincolns which are in 2x2's. I was opening the images and saw some really cool die cracks. Even posted the picture to a message board. I didn't find out until I got the coin and took it out of the 2x2 to get a better look and...the 'die cracks' were gone. smile.gif So, I had to post a follow-up 'Nothing to see here. Move along.' post. smile.gif

lol27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif DUH! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo

I did that when I was taking pictures of my Lincolns which are in 2x2's. I was opening the images and saw some really cool die cracks. Even posted the picture to a message board. I didn't find out until I got the coin and took it out of the 2x2 to get a better look and...the 'die cracks' were gone. smile.gif So, I had to post a follow-up 'Nothing to see here. Move along.' post. smile.gif

Yeah, I think I'll delete the whole thread, if I can.

nonono! you cant delete the thread! you just made my day! grin.gif dont go and ruin it! shy.gif

I couldn't figure out a way but I did find another oddularity with the Sac dollars. I can see a faint 3 in front of the 3. And yes, I did move the coin in the cellophane so I'm not imagining things again this time............ooh......pink elephants! 27_laughing.gif

Leo