• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Pickup

16 posts in this topic

Picked this one up today. but I am not too good at grading these brown coppers....

I liked the small offset strike on the obverse. Wish it was a small motto, but oh well....

Maybe an olive oil soak for a little while?

EF?

2c.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>.jpg'>

MM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Looks cool to me thumbsup2.gif

Is there anything that needs to be removed to warrant an oil bath?

There is a small greenish tinted spot under the 4 of the date. Not sure what it is, just thinking oil may help displace it before it does any damage.

I am trying the oil bath on a couple of coppers to see what happens. But it may take months before I can post results. sleeping.gif

I actually picked it up at a local jewelers. He had some old coins in some 2x2's that looked like they had been there forever. I was not thinking AU, more xf, but like I said, I am not too good at grading old copper.

That is a coin in hand photo.

Also picked up this one there. A little baggy, but MS.

1894o.jpg

MM cool.gif

I actually picked it up at a local jewelers. He had some old coins in some 2x2's that looked like they had been there forever. I was not thinking AU, more xf, but like I said, I am not too good at grading old copper.

That is a coin in hand photo.

Also picked up this one there. A little baggy, but MS.

1894o.jpg

MM cool.gif

Nice 2 cent piece, Hoot can help with the curating, But the Morgan is interesting as well,,,Whats up with the T in IGWT??

I am trying the oil bath on a couple of coppers to see what happens. But it may take months before I can post results. sleeping.gif

Coin doctor. devil.gif

As for the spot, an olive oil bath might help and will be gentle to the rest of the surface. The spot sounds like active verdigris and should be neutralized. The olive oil is slightly acidic and will help neutralize (but not remove) the spot, but may also affect the rest of the surface if left long enough; so look in on the coin to be sure it's not changing color. A month will likely not have a broad effect, but check more often than that, nonetheless. Pad the coin dry with a soft, cotton cloth afterward, and don't wipe it. The coin will look oily, but the oil will aid in preservation over time. If you wash the coin or dip it in acetone, it will alter the surface appearance dramatically, so I'd advise you not to. Keep the coin dry, and perhaps buy an Intercept Shield holder for it to aid in stopping corrosion, or send it to ICG and specify that you want an IS insert.

The coin looks like a nice EF to me. Good color overall.

Hoot

I found it very hard to photo the IGWT to show it properly. I had not even noticed it until you said something. It appears to be maybe die deterioration as it just looks like rough edges. But under a photo, they do not show up well. I do not see any doubling...

intrust.jpg

MM smirk.gif

This is what I originally went into the jewelry store for. I had an old 1921 that someone had drilled a hole in, and a rope necklace that my mom had given me about 20 years ago. I had the idea to fix the necklace, which had broken a while back, and affix the morgan to it. I did not want one of those gold rings around the coin....

I like it!

neck21.jpg

MM yay.gif

Picked this one up today. but I am not too good at grading these brown coppers....

I liked the small offset strike on the obverse. Wish it was a small motto, but oh well....

Maybe an olive oil soak for a little while?

Do you think the olive oil soak will change it to a small motto????????

stooges.gif

in all seriousness, that's a very pretty 2c piece.

HOOT, have you ever heard of anyone using acetic acid to dissolve verdegris, or a chelating agent like EDTA???