• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever deviate from your plan?

11 posts in this topic

If you have one...for collecting...do you ever sway?

I'm just trying to be honest with myself, and trying to find my way through all this stuff, but there are so many auctions pending right now, that I found a whole bunch of coins I was looking for...but then...found a whole bunch of coins that I wasn't looking for.

Coins that were totally out of the context of what I'm collecting, that made me think.

Why do I keep going back to these three coins in particular...I never had a hankering for them? But they're just beautiful.

And then, I look and re-look at the ones I planned on buying, and my gut feeling is..

...if you really look at this coin, it looks like a piece of junk (and there are only five graded higher)

or

...that other one...could I really tell the difference between it (a PF69 and the one I currently have ((a PF68))?

or

...and this one...it's top of the line, but I feel like I really don't need a coin that is so...p r i s t e n e...

or

do I really need another one of those????

or

am I really going to spend this much money on THAT????!!!!???? Why?????

or

that's nice...I wanted one...but it really doesn't do anything for me...

or

yeah...real pretty...except for the dot under it's nose (then why are they bidding this 1500.00 coin past 2200????)

you get the picture???

Do you ever find that you would like to, or are..deviating from your 'plan'?

I think I'm going to go for the cigar....

Mike - collecting habits often mirror people's personalities, and I'm a lot like you. I have a general direction mapped out but wind up taking a lot of side trips. That pretty much sums up the rest of my life too. Almost all my grade school report cards say "easily distracted" in the teacher's comments.

I've completed my FE set except for some of the more obscure minor varieties and now I find myself looking at everything and buying some of this and some of that. I'm all over the place and I'm having a good time with it.

"Easily Distracted" was just s term teachers used when they noticed a kid did not care for the subject that was being taught.

For the thread answer.....Nope. Still going for the numbers for the Registry Set. Much joy is had when a bigger number is posted.

I do think when the Mercs are done I could be like a few others and just be all over the place. Many other series of coins are appreciated. All Classics though.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Ken

I'm still primarily after the nickels - Jeffs and Buffs. But that never stops me from picking up something that knocks me cold grin.gif. I also get those kinds of disturbances insane.gif out of my system by album collecting!

Hoot

I have been told by many people that I am very, very focused, and task oriented but I still deviate from the main plan occasionally and start sets that are not even remotely related to my main collecting focus. All I accomplish (aside from getting more great coins) is to dilute my finite resources away from their intended purpose.

The up side is more great coins. The downside is delaying completion of other sets that are supposed to have higher priority, because I only have so much discretionary income. I live with the downside, because some sets that I am building are so long and expensive (i.e. MS Saints) that I will never finish them anyhow, unless I win the lottery. Whereas, the diversion sets are often more easily and less expensively completed (i.e. denomination Type Sets).

These Type sets also lead to furthering my more ambitious USA Type Set goals. So, maybe it is not a bad thing after all.

Things never go exactly as you think so some tweeking of plans is to be expected. Sometimes it's a change in interest or perspective, but more likely it's just real world interference.

My plan has so many threads to it that I'm liable to be at it forever - but that doesn't stop me from the occasional detour to something that catches my eye. Since the classic commems is one of my loves its going to take me a number of years and lots of $ to complete it. That interest, coupled with dcam proof coins from 50-64, are fun to look for and allow me the opportunity to cavort with other interesting coins that might come along.