• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NPG?

12 posts in this topic

I dropped out of active involvement in coin collecting in the early 1980's and recently entered the hobby again. During that time, the TPG's began, expanded, and have obviously multiplied.

My question for you old-timers, or anyone that knows is: was there ever (or is there still) a TPG grading/slabbing service called "NPG" or "Numismatic Professional Grading", or is it a department in the ANA, or what exactly is/was it?

Thanks!

The image provided clearly shows the Coin World emblem underneath the grade sticker. This alone would make me extremely cautious about this company.

Thanks for your replies thus far. Still waiting for Condor's input.

Do you mean that the Coin World newspaper itself has a slabbing dept. or that they allow their name to be used by a wannabe grading company, or...?

I did a Google search but couldn't find any info on this NPG outfit.

Coin World sells the slabs to anyone who pays for them and they can be ordered through the newspaper and likely even online. They are simply snap-together holders that look like TPG slabs.

Conder's book does not contain any information on NPG slabs, so he either was not aware of them when it was published, which is possible, or they came into business after the book was released in 2003, which is much more likely.

Hi folks. Yep that's a new fly-by-night using Coin World shells. (The fly-by-night are getting a way from using the Coin World shells now. Too many people,even newbies, are learning to recognize the Coin World logo on the shell and start asking questions.) I can't tell you anything about them though,they are new to me as well.

With so many new "professional" companies worming out of the woodwork, I've been itching to slam-the-scammers by starting a company called "ACG" - Amateur Coin Grading. But I hear that acronym is already taken.

I've been itching to slam-the-scammers by starting a company called "ACG" - Amateur Coin Grading. But I hear that acronym is already taken.

Twice. Plus two versions of ACGS, and one of ACCGS.