• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Hall and "coin collecting" (non-bashing)

9 posts in this topic

To start off, this is not meant to bash Mr. Hall or PCGS in anyway, it is just simply an inquiry. Does David Hall actually collect coins? Does he have a coin collection? Watching the B&M (I think it was B&M, I can't remember now.)DVD, he just basically stated the grade and whatever was on the holder and typically said that the coin was nice. He didn't really seem to have any numismatic quality to him, just more like a sales pitch. So is Mr. Hall an avid numismatist or just a business man getting rich off of a hobby? I don't want this to turn in to bashing him, so please refrain.

I don't know if he collects coins, but someone told me he collected sports cards. I have no idea if it is true, but someone told me that he sold off his card collection and had them graded by PSA (PCGS sister company). The person who told me this said that these cards were wildly regarded as having the highest percent of overgraded cards out of any major collection.

Sounds like David Hall has a heart for the hobby based upon his statement below when asked if he currently collects coins.

Tuesday April 22, 2003 7:53 PM

Andy...In the past, I have put together Gem sets of Washington quarters, proof three cent nickels, gold commems, and $2&1/2 Indians for personal enjoyment. I was thinking about collecting again, actually because I was doing weighting for the Set Registry. I would have to say that if I had the money, I think I would do a set of circulation strike $10 Liberties. Those coins are so rare. I also have always loved patterns, they are so beautiful. I also have always been horny for Gem Seated dollars. Now that you've got me going, I'm wishing I had some fraction of Bill Gates type money. I'd definitely give TDN a go for it in Seated dollars...David

This is not an answer specifically about David, but about dealers in general. Most successful dealers were avid collectors.

However, to be a successful dealer, it is my opinion that the best coins must be available to your client base. If you are in competition with them, will they have trust in you and will they use you as their primary dealer? I believe not.

There are some very successful dealers, notably Anthony Terranova & Jim Mc Guigan, to name a couple that have great collections of material that they deal in.

I fufill my collecting urges by taking a great deal of pride in collections that I am assisting. I consider them a product of my expertise.

Hope that this helps.

Q. David Bowers has stated he used to collect Proof Seated and Barber half dollars. He said his Seated set would probably average Proof 62 today. I think he sold his sets to raise money so he could go into business as a coin dealer. I think more recently he has collected counterstamped coins, and paper money issued by small banks (mainly of the 19th century, don't they call these "broken bank notes" or "wildcat bank notes? Correct me if I'm wrong).

I've always wondered about dealers building their own sets. It seems like building collections for other people would satisfy their crave for coins and a collection. If I was a dealer, though, I couldn't resist making my own collection. grin.gif Thankyou for enlightening me, Julian.