• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Turn. NGC :) PCGS :(

9 posts in this topic

A couple of weeks ago I related a story here on how I received a warm telephone call from a senior grader of NGC letting me know a submission of War Nickels would not be holdered due to questionable color. I also received news, NOT at my prompting, I would receive a full refund of all fees paid for that submission.

Well, the coins were returned (and subsequently sent to SEGS) but no refund.

I called customer service a couple of days ago and talked to a live person (that alone is a treat, vs answering machines and message services). I was promised I would have an answer later in the day and sure enough, a follow up phone call from NGC solved the problem. No hassles, no sweat.

The SAME DAY I also placed a call to PCGS as I had just received a "15 day" submission back (07/21!) that had been dropped off at Long Beach on 05-29. Well, that sure doesn't add up to "15 days" to me so I called to voice my concern and was told someone would get back to me. No one did. A follow up phone call on my part promised the same results- with NO results.

It's now three days later with nothing. Believe me, I'll continue to chase after them but what a hassle.

It's so much more pleasant to deal with a company that not only talks the talk but walks the walk.

That company is NGC. And, they keep proving it to me over and over again what with my incidents and yours.

So far, I have had nothing but positive experiences with NGC's customer service staff, and had several instances where I called with an issue, and was contacted just to let me know that, even though they hadn't figured out the problem (on a technical issue) that they were still working on it.

What amazes me is the same people, after experiencing PCGS abysmal customer service, keep sending submissions to them. I'm finding the gap between PCGS and NGC coins has virtually evaporated at least with Morgan dollars, so if it is the perceived "better price for PCGS coins" they are only kidding themselves. Come on, it really is a no brainer. On Monday I got grades from NGC 32 calender days after they received the coins. There is a guy across the street who is at 83 days at PCGS and still counting.

I called customer service a couple of days ago and talked to a live person (that alone is a treat, vs answering machines and message services). I was promised I would have an answer later in the day and sure enough, a follow up phone call from NGC solved the problem. No hassles, no sweat.

A while back I called NGC about some problem I was having. Whatever the problem was it was very minor and I don't even remember it. The PERSON who answered the phone didn't know the answer. She said she'd call me back later that day. At the end of the day there was no call. Hey, I'm used to this with PCGS so it wasn't a big surprise to me that she didn't call back.

However, something amazing happened the next day. I got a call from her. She took care of my problem and apologized for not getting back to me sooner!

The SAME DAY I also placed a call to PCGS as I had just received a "15 day" submission back (07/21!) that had been dropped off at Long Beach on 05-29. Well, that sure doesn't add up to "15 days" to me so I called to voice my concern and was told someone would get back to me. No one did. A follow up phone call on my part promised the same results- with NO results.

It's now three days later with nothing. Believe me, I'll continue to chase after them but what a hassle.

1) You are not getting a call back from them.

2) David Hall has to be convinced that you deserve the free grading coupons now.

3) If you read the fine print, you actually got your coins back in 4 business days. The "weekend" is considered Thursday-Tuesday.

What amazes me is the same people, after experiencing PCGS abysmal customer service, keep sending submissions to them. I'm finding the gap between PCGS and NGC coins has virtually evaporated at least with Morgan dollars, so if it is the perceived "better price for PCGS coins" they are only kidding themselves. Come on, it really is a no brainer. On Monday I got grades from NGC 32 calender days after they received the coins. There is a guy across the street who is at 83 days at PCGS and still counting.
Good point and my submissions will generally bare this out.

What used to be six or seven submissions/ PCGS and one to NGC is now reversed and even that gap is closing.

Admittingly, the seven coins to PCGS dropped off at Long Beach were two toners (Greg saw them: Greg- they both holdered!) and the rest were for my "Worse Known" PCGS Registry (a PO01 2 1/2 Indian and FA02 Trade dollars...).

It's getting to where it is not worth the hassles to use them 15 day service or not.

It's getting to where it is not worth the hassles to use them 15 day service or not.

Which, I believe, is the point. 27_laughing.gif

Now remember, PCGS counts Monday as the only business day so you'll be receiveing your coins in about 7 more weeks.

Have a nice year. laugh.gif

jom

Someone pointed out that they were not going to be counting ten business days around the Baltimore show towards their guarantee. They pointed out with the current show schedule that there are only a couple of days a month that your coins can be received and be guaranteed. Seems to me the "guarantee" isn't worth the paper it is written on. boo.gif

I can't forget about a great customer gesture I received from them once. After going about 6 months without any submissions I sent a few small ones in. I got a call from Scott Heller in receiving and my first thought was "what did I screw up?" Turns out he just called to say thanks for the submissions and that it was nice to hear from me again! I was pretty much floored considering I was far from being one of their larger submitters in the first place.

Hey Rick M., I think Scott needs a raise!

Hey Rick M., I think Scott needs a raise!

At first I thought you were talking about PCGS and I was in shock! Then I read that quote.... lol

jom