• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What camera do you use?

60 posts in this topic

We've had posts asking what is the best camera cheap or otherwise, But, what camera do you use to do all or most of your close-up pictures with? I presently use an 8yr old Olympus. Next week I'm buying a Canon S2IS Powershot.

I'm using an Olympus, and I love it. I will suggest staying far away from Sony cameras. Canon, in my opinion, makes middling-quality cameras.

I've had all three of these brands, and they are the only ones I can comment on.

I have a Canon S2 IS that takes wonderful pictures. The Canon CCD optical chip is known as the best in the world and the S2 IS uses this chip. The S3 is the more up to date model and uses the latest version of the chip. The difference between the S2/S3 and the Canon professional and prosumer SLR models is that the SLR models use multiple chips for quicker and better sampling and to allow for continues modes at around 24-30 pictures per second. Their lower-end SLRs uses 2 CCD chips, the higher-end models use three!

Another difference is that the S2/S3 cameras do not provide raw images. Although you can set the camera to shoot in a mode that gives you about the same data as a raw image, the image is packaged in a minimally request JPEG format. If you want to process raw images, then go for the something like the EOS Rebel, at $200-300 more than the S2/S3.

A word of warning: Canon consumer cameras have the tendency for the dreaded E18 error. E18 is the error displayed when the lens motor stops working. There are many reasons for the E18 error, but the key one is how you take care of the camera. From other accounts, never run the batteries down in the camera. If you use weak batteries, the motor does not work correctly and can get "stuck." This is difficult with NiMH batteries since their performance drops suddenly and not gradually. I just spent $127 to get my camera repaired!

The EOS and professional SLR cameras do not have this problem since they use a different motor. The bodies on those cameras allow Canon to use a stronger motor. These are very good cameras and always highly rated in its class.

I am a fan of the Canon CCD optical chip, which is why I opted to get my S2 fixed rather the buy a new camera. When it comes time to upgrade, I will probably upgrade to a Canon Digital SLR.

Scott hi.gif

I’m using a Pentax istDL with a 100mm F4 lens. For small coins I’ll add a 16mm extension tube between the lens and camera, than I can magnify to a 1:1 ratio of coin to camera chip.

A Nikon D70 digital SLR with Nikkor 18-70mm zoom. If I had more money, I'd go with the latest D model (D100, I think) and a dedicated macro lens, but my camera does a good job I think.

Canon Digital Rebel 350D with a generic (Quantaray) 300 mm macro lens that allows me to be 3 ft from the coin and still have it take up about 65% of the height of the sensor (for a small cent). I've been taking my pictures with the Canon 430EX flash as opposed to the built-in one (in addition to 1-2 other lights) in f/20 with a 1/200 sec exposure.

I have an S2 IS, which takes pretty nice shots:

1893_Obvb.jpg

1893_Revb.jpg

With the stock lens, and no macro ring, the best I can do with a Morgan when I leave enough room for good lighting is about 900px in size. The Barber pictured was about 700px full-size. That wasn't enough, so I bought a Rebel XT with a Canon 100mm Macro lens. This thing is simply outstanding:

1973Crown_obvsml.jpg

1937Crown_revsml.jpg

Those pics were deliberately underexposed a bit to bring out the chatter. The original image filled the sensor, 2200px in razor-sharp clarity. I can't say enough about this camera/lens combination - it can even get a Barber Dime 1:1 on the sensor, which is huge :

1892BarberDimeObvSml.jpg

Um, yeah, I'm a bit of a Canon fanboi. cool.gif

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC S90 4.1 Megapixels 3x Optical zoom with standard lense and digital macro mode (Sony is not a traditional camera brand insane.gif ) and I can get pictures I am pleased with from it. I do really like Canon cameras, though, so.... grin.gif someday down the line I might own one. wink.gif

But anyways, my little camera works just fine for me:

stonemtnhalf.jpg

grin.gif

-Amanda

Amanda, I want you to know that I blame you for my lack of self-control. Every time I looked at your Stone Mountain, I wanted one, and I finally broke down. It isn't as pretty as yours, but it was the best that I could find.

I'm using the Canon Powershot Pro1, 8 Megapixel.

1613487-IMG_1383.JPG1613487-IMG_1384.JPG

Chris

1613487-IMG_1384.JPG.6d5c7ef39262bc9bdb31e38b28c68aac.JPG

I like yours, too, Chris. smile.gif

And I don't think I am entirely to blame, because Lee's Stone Mountain is the coin that inspired my Stone Mountain purchase. grin.gif

Thanks. smile.gif

-Amanda

Then both of us can blame Lee! 27_laughing.gif

Chris

I'll take the blame for the being the one responsible for both of you purchasing super coins! grin.gif

1926stmcomp.jpg

I'll tell ya what I am seeing some nice pics here. Also, I've decided I'm gonna go the extra $100 and get a Canon S3IS. Here are the pics I got with my old Olympus D360L. This was with a loupe over the lens area.

1914barberdimeobv.jpg

1914barberdimerev.jpg

On a budget, the older Nikon Digital CoolPix series is hard to beat...

I have a 4300 that dose a wonderful job, purchased new at $600 now available on eBay for around $200... LeeG and his 5700 do superb work and I think Russ (ATS) uses a 5500 if I'm not mistaken...

Here's one from my 4300..."-)

South_Africa_RAW_WEB_2.jpg

Now to answer the original question... "what camera do you use to do all or most of your close-up pictures with?"

I use a Nikon D50 with a 105mm Macro, drawback there on the pricey side but a whole lot of fun...

Here's a photo of the Thistle in Miss Liberty's hair on a Morgan silver dollar...

thissel.jpg

That type of close-up is what I want to be able to accomplish. I tried the Canon S3IS last nite at staples and the super macro will focus with the lens right on top of the coin. That was nice!!

That type of close-up is what I want to be able to accomplish. I tried the Canon S3IS last nite at staples and the super macro will focus with the lens right on top of the coin. That was nice!!

It'll be a little difficult to get enough light on the coin, but doable. Here's one from my S2, actual size:

NDetail%7E0.jpg

Canon makes a macro lens for the S1/S2/S3 which, I hear, is an excellent piece of glass which will allow you to get much further from the coin (therefore allowing more flexibility with lighting).

That's a nice pic. I'm actually getting one from a reputable seller on ebay. It will come with a 0.42x wide angle macro lens. I could tell from experimenting last nite that the lighting would probably be the biggest issue with pics with the camera. I like it's ability to zoom soo close tho'.

I use a nikon coolpix 4500. Very good for very small coins...

I have actually been tackling the decision of a Nikon or Canon for the last month now. I think I've leaned to the Canon. I have noticed from all the pics that there are alot of nice cameras out there to do the job. Also, with the help of loupes, lenses, that a person can make an older, not-so-expensive camera work almost as well or at least passable for the person's own collection data. I know if I can get a decent picture with this old olympus I have and still be happy with the picture, that expensive doesn't always mean better! thumbsup2.gif

I too, have a Canon S2 IS and I love how close it focuses. The next step is to figure out how to get a nice big picture but a small file size. How is everyone doing this?

I have been experimenting with a trial version of the Adobe Photo CS2. It will resize but keep the quality of the pic. Of course that software is about $700 at staples. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Just a thought for you.

Save the images full size off the camera.

If you wish to post an image just upload it to something like Photo bucket at the size you wish. It's really easy.

Just a thought for you.

Save the images full size off the camera.

If you wish to post an image just upload it to something like Photo bucket at the size you wish. It's really easy.

There ya go. But remember, photobucket still only lets you upload photos at 800pix or less.

Here's a photo of the Thistle in Miss Liberty's hair on a Morgan silver dollar...

Hey DenverDave, I think I used to call them thistles a hundred years ago too, but I found out later on they were cotton bolls.

cotton20.jpg

btw...I take crummy pictures.