• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

5 Cent errors question

12 posts in this topic

NGC will give those designations to mint errors. Your coins appear to meet the definition of FS (all 6 steps at NGC, unlike only 5 at PCGS).

Why send them in for conservation? It looks like a quick dip would remove the haze and fingerprints. That might save you $15 a coin.

gmarguli

I have never dipped a coin.To be honest I wouldn't Know what to use.

I attached 3 more.I found these for very little money and I think they are cool as can be.

589a8b0167845_218751-errors2.jpg.78cb53714526b9bf31419ae441f6b1c6.jpg

Try Jeweluster - also called E-Z-Est. It's good for everything except copper.

Those second two nickels won't get graded due to counting wheel damage.

Wrong thread, board is acting funny today. I clicked the back button on my browser and ended up in a comic book thread... and I don't think I've ever read anything on that board. Crappy database design IMO. No referential integrity.

MAULEMALL,

The one on the left looks like about 20% off center since some of the design is missing.The one on the right looks like a railroad rim out of collar, and also broadstruck. Can we see the obverse of those coins also?????

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I have a few of these in my collection but I don't buy unless they have really outstanding luster, color and are virtually markfree. I've been able to pick them up here and there, certified 63 to 66, $15-$25. And they must have full steps. I've found the high quality stuff of this sort very interesting. They have given me a little of something else to collect while I'm waiting for that next (needle in the haystack) great coin for my collection.

Leo

Maybe this is a basic question to error collectors but:

Where are errors normally found? Obviously some in circulation and probably some in rolls. Is this the only source? If the mint catches them, then they are destroyed automatically.

Was just reading an article about mint employees being caught with errors on their persons. As a result, they did a full locker search for others and confiscated them.