• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Grandfather Just Told Me I've Inherited Some Family Gold...

14 posts in this topic

My great aunt (grandfather's sister) passed away about two weeks ago from a combination of old age and illness. My grandfather just sent me this email:

Among my sister's possessions were these four coins:

1. What appears to be a British coin. I say appears because it is well-worne. The obverse side has King George V in

profile; on the reverse, I can read "25," the coin's value, and "1912," the year it was struck, but nothing else.

2. An Etat Francais 1 Franc from the year 1942. That's in good condition and I may have given it to her after a voyage to

France in 1945. (My, my, how time flies!, to coin a phrase).

3. A U.S. gold 2.5 dollars from 1911. An Indian head is on the obverse and eagle on the reverse.

4. A U.S. gold coin dated 1880. The obverse side has the head of Liberty in profile; the reverse has an eagle and "Five D."

We, Joe [grandfather's brother] and I, are quite sure that the gold coins were our father's. They and the others are now yours if you, the family

numismatist extraordinaire, want them. We would be interested in learning their monetary value but, obviously, at least the

gold coins, are priceless as family heirlooms.

While I certainly find sentimental value in all four pieces, the gold is very exciting for two reasons:

1- I'm now the fourth generation since these coins were taken out of circulation. I've always thought about coins as historical objects, but never has the history come so close to home as now; it never occurred to me that my grandfather was alive (albeit a toddler) when these pieces were circulating. I know that his father worked long, hard hours to maintain a small grocery store, so I imagine $7.50 was a large amount of money for him. Obviously, these coins are now worth far beyond their numismatic value in my family.

2- Each piece ties well with a story and my collection. First, I've been looking for a $2 1/2 Indian to add to my type set for some time now, but have never found one appealing enough and in my price range. This will join wonderfully with my 1912 $5 Indian. Secondly, on the day I broke $100 on a coin, I actually bought two $100+ coins. First on that day was the coin in my signature line. Second was an 1880 AU $5 Liberty. This was at the Baltimore ANA in 2003, and I went to the show only because my parents went to start looking at houses in the area, with only one rubber stamp still needed before my father would be granted tenure, the condition on which he'd take his professorship.

I've never inherited a coin before, but have always thought that I'd like to pass my coins onto a family member who is a collector many, many years from now. It's exciting to think that not only will I be passing on coins to the second or third generation, but also to the fifth or sixth.

Jeremy smile.gif

Nice story Jeremy...very nice of your immediate family to hand down such family treasures and not put into an Estate Sale that we see so often.

They will be worth more to you than any numismatic value could ever be placed on them.

It was meant to be!

I've never inherited a coin before, but have always thought that I'd like to pass my coins onto a family member who is a collector many, many years from now. It's exciting to think that not only will I be passing on coins to the second or third generation, but also to the fifth or sixth.

Jeremy smile.gif

Yea, verily.

It's good to take a step back every now and then to remember that coins were used as a medium of exchange-- that they actually circulated at face value way back when.

Even if really worn and/or cleaned, they'll still make a great addition to your collection because you know their provenance. My Dansco 7070 houses a 1909 Indian cent in VG that came from my grandmother's "estate" (probably from a dresser drawer). If my dad still have the Monroe Doctrine half he pulled from change some 60+ years ago, I'll want to keep that one, too. It was one of the coins that got me interested in collecting.

1. What appears to be a British coin. I say appears because it is well-worne. The obverse side has King George V in profile; on the reverse, I can read "25," the coin's value, and "1912," the year it was struck, but nothing else.

It's probably a Canadian 25 cent piece.

It's probably a Canadian 25 cent piece.
That was my guess, as well

Maybe it's a super-rare 1912 British Honduras 25 cent piece not listed in Krause or East Africa 25 cent piece, but I doubt it. grin.gif

Great story (except for hearing your Aunt passed away), Jeremy. Those coins passed down from generation to generation are move valuable than any cherrypick could ever be. Treasure them in good health....Mike

Hey Jeremy, did you happen to notice any mint mark on the $2 1/2 Indian? Check toward the bottom left of the reverse. You might get real lucky. Great story. thumbsup2.gif

They've put the family heirlooms in good hands.

Exactly my thought! It's wonderful to have something tangible that connects family members across time.

I never know what to say. frown.gif

It is sad when loved ones pass away, but I am glad that your aunt's treasures will be enjoyed for many years to come. smile.gif

-Amanda

Great story ! Sorry for your loss. But it brings to mind a day about 40 years ago when my Grandma pulled me aside one day and opened an old leather change purse and handed me a small hand full of IHCs . Nothing real great,some early dates and some hit and miss right up through the 1909. All in G to VG a couple F. But that really hooked me on the hobby. I would never part with them and I still get a good feeling when i run across them in my collection. Of course they will be passed on to my children when the day comes. So thanks for the memories!

I haven't seen the coins yet, so I can't comment on mintmarks or grades. Given that they were plucked in Philadelphia, I'd have to doubt the coins are from branch mints, but you never know smile.gif