• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found a $20 bill on the ground today. What should I get with it?

39 posts in this topic

Given that Lincoln cents are only going to get more popular in the next few years with the 2009 new designs and possibly the discontinuation of the cents soon after (except for maybe the collector sets), I would put my money (and yours) on one or two or maybe even three proof Lincoln wheat cents. I bought a nice 1953 wheat, PF65, with some gold toning just a couple days ago for $25. It's beautiful. It's over 50 years old. And you can be sure it will be the proofs that far outpace the MS coins in value. Let us know what you decide.

Here's my take on the coin:

First, the faults: It has a break in the luster over the sun which I believe is the major part of it being an AU-58. The coin was obviously dipped, although not severely, as the luster is magnificent in hand smile.gif I think the coin may have been gently wiped at one point, as there are some very difficult-to-see hairlines on the field behind Liberty. The hairlines are in random directions and can only be seen if the coin is held "just so".

Next, the virtues: As I mentioned, the luster is beautiful on the coin (other than on the sun). The strike is superb; Liberty's five fingers on her outstretched hand are all clearly visible, the eagle's feathers are all great, and...well...look at it smile.gif The coin is slabbed by PCGS. This coin has what I would characterize as great eye appeal.

I love this coin. Sure, it's got its minor distractions, but the eye appeal it has for me more than makes up for it.

I'd also like to thank supertooth for taking a look at the coin pics before I bought it and afterwards, and offering his FANTASTIC advice. Bob - thank you so much!

Best $20 I ever spent on a coin wink.gif