• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Found a $20 bill on the ground today. What should I get with it?

39 posts in this topic

Okay, so today I'm walking down the stairwell after class and I find a cool $20 on the ground. I decide that it's clearly a mandate that I should buy a $20 coin today, as the rest of my coin budget is currently engaged elsewhere and I've been feeling the itch.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a $20 coin and tell me why I should buy it. Bonus points if I decide to buy it from you. If I see something that catches my attention, maybe I'll pick it up. smile.gif

Post some pics! popcorn.gif

You should buy a 2007 ASE. You'll get an ounce of silver, which is going up, up, up! An ASE is a lean, mean bullion machine. And you'll also have enough left over for a value meal at the fast food chain of your choice.

I've sorta had my fill of silver bullion at the moment. Besides, after starting my Britannia collection, I find the ASEs a little...monotonous, I suppose. I think I'd like to get something American but a little older.

You can also look for a "grab bag" on the bay. This may require some effort but people have been able to get nice coins out of groups of buffalo nickels and old dimes by carefully examining photos, spotting potential cherry picks and then hoping for the best. Seems to have worked out a couple of times and you get a great story to boot.

Okay, so today I'm walking down the stairwell after class and I find a cool $20 on the ground. I decide that it's clearly a mandate that I should buy a $20 coin today, as the rest of my coin budget is currently engaged elsewhere and I've been feeling the itch.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to come up with a $20 coin and tell me why I should buy it. Bonus points if I decide to buy it from you. If I see something that catches my attention, maybe I'll pick it up. smile.gif

Post some pics! popcorn.gif

whew! what a relief that you found it! I'll send you my address so you can return it to me (lol!)

I'll be happy to return the bill to whichever one of you is the proper owner. Simply post the serial number so I know it's really yours. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, how nice of a raw / slabbed buffalo nickel could I get in the $20 neighborhood? I'd love an attractive uncirculated one for my type set.

I'd go through dealers' junk boxes and buy a whole ton of interesting crud for $20.

A dealer near me has foreign coins in a 5-for-$1 box. From there I pulled about 800 yen face for about $2, an AU 1939 Canadian nickel, an 1890's Japanese silver 10 sen in VF/EF, and a bunch of other cool stuff. He doesn't keep as much nice stuff in there any more, so I figure he is more diligent in cherry picking the better stuff.

I'll be happy to return the bill to whichever one of you is the proper owner. Simply post the serial number so I know it's really yours. 27_laughing.gif

You'll have to send me a picture of the obverse first so I can recognize it and make sure it's mine. Then I'll send you the serial#. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Well, if you're looking for a slug of American silver but not an ASE how about a Peace dollar? I think it's a really pretty design. Depending on how rare you want to make it the condition could vary widely.

...for $20 you should be able to get a decent later date Indian Head Cent in AU50-58 condition...it's a classic design and is a must for type collections.

Leo

...but I'm not biased or anything wink.gif

I've been thinking since this post, I have been saving a 1950 $20 bill for the heck of it. I found out it ain't worth much unless it is uncirculated. So I thought maybe I would take it to the bank for some nickels and pennies to see what I can find. confused-smiley-013.gif

I already donate regularly to a local charity. This $20 is going to be donated to the poor, starving grad student coin collector fund.

Ok so have you done anything with this $20??

I bought $14 nickels and $6 pennies. Found 1 1948 penny and nothing else worthwhile.