• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone checked series of 1924 peace dollers from upcoming...

30 posts in this topic

I can't say this for sure, but some of them look like a big group that I've seen some of them in person. Actually I own one of them. I sold the other. Others I have seen at some shows. Check the cert. Numbers and if it's the group I'm thinking of they will be close in numbers. I will attach the one I own. It's just a scan but looks similar to these. It's also graded ms65 in an older NGC holder. Please see attachment.

Of course I feel the piece I attached is much better than those at auction. Mine is much lighter than the scan indicates, and has very nice blazing luster. I only bothered to attach the obverse.

589a8b01298cc_217839-1924ms65rainbowobv.jpg.01cdba2529831f496e2d5fe2546219b2.jpg

stman

So you saw some of them(or their sisters) in person and thought they are original?

I'm a novice and can't tell NT from AT, so your opinion helps a lot.

Also do you have any idea why so many coins got toned in the same way?

Is it albumn toning?

I'd have to check the cert numbers and see if they are close. There were at least 50 of them what I heard. Most were submitted at the same time or close by invoice. If you looked at my attachment of the one I own from the group... it is indeed original imo. I can't say for sure if the ones in this auction are from the same group. And yes... most if not all are album toned.

I've seen plenty at shows and there was one that was pretty close to being target toned that I almost owned but passed, since I had just bought the one that I attached. I will say to be cautious on buying toned Peace$.

I just checked the cert.number on mine and it is indeed close to a couple of the ones at auction. Like I mentioned, they are 1924 all in older NGC holders. Many I seen at shows were in 64 holders as well. I still have the image of the one I sold but it belongs to another member here. Maybe he will chime in and post the image as well. It's a very close sister coin to the one I attached in my previous post.

Many of the reverses of this group will have the album toning and like a little peep hole in the middle. I have attached the rev to this post. Please see attachment.

Hope this helps a little anyway.

589a8b012c780_217841-24rev.jpg.89170f43ba064234182172ba528b4fc1.jpg

Wow! More than 50 is quite a number...that reminds me of those 1945-s dimes with similar toning on reverse.

Your info was very helpful and interesting. Thank you.

It's always amazing to see so many knowledgeable members on both boards.

The toning looks pretty original to me, form the scans, at least. Also, if NGC graded 50+ of them all at once, they probably checked them out real good, out of suspision.

Call me crazy, but didn't these, or coins similar to these hit Teletrade not long ago? I may have my "hoards" confused.

BigD, I don't know I'd call this a hoard. I have just seen quite a few of these around on the west coast. Like I mentioned I own one and sold the other one. I never check Teletrade (and hardly eBay) so I don't know if any of these were offered there. There are a couple other members that have one of these. You can usually tell they are from the same group as I mentioned before.... the cert numbers will be very close or invoice number, and the rev will have that peephole type look in the center.

Many of the obv are also toned similar.

Here is mine:

1924rainbowpeace-small.jpg

It was in an old NGC slab. I sent it in for designation review right after I purchased it. It's now in a new slab with the * designation.

Yes, I did purchase it from Strat.

I like it because the rainbow is a complete circle. Not too often found like this on Peace dollars.

So far out of that group the one you have and the one I linked in this thread are the best ones I've seen in person. One dealer had a target toned one that I was tempted to buy. Actually the one you have is a bit nicer than mine because it has a better looking rev. But I like the red and yellow and green that show on the obv of mine. They are an interesting group of Peace$ anyway. Frattlaw has one as well.

It would be fun to learn the source of these interesting and intriguing Peace dollars.

Pat

I can't speak for this group of coins, but I do know of a small group that came out of Florida. A combination of an old Coin Board sitting in a well pump shed for about 11/2 years. Some came out ugly, but some came out with toning similar to the ones pictured in this thread.

ArtR

I wish there were groups of Peace dollers with similar toning to your icon!!

I just noticed I misspelled "magic" oh no, I ruined the intelligence of this board again!

toyonakataro

My Icon came out of a roll of 22-D Peace Dollars. It was owned by a collector in the Chicago area,who has assembled arguably the finest collection of toned high grade Peace Dollars in existence. As of several years ago the collection only lacked the 23-S to be complete

Art, thanks for the background, on possibly some of these beautiful Peace dollars.

When I hear a story such as this I must look at the source, and you being credible, makes all the difference in the world because, quite frankly, if it had come from most anyone else I'd pass it off as a marketing tool.

I meant to take a look at these at Heritage two weeks ago, but I was pressed for time and had other coins that I wanted to look at closer than these.

The coin that started the thread is not one of the ones I will mention, however, there is a "hoard" of AT Peace dollars where, I believe, a few ended up in NGC slabs. I don't know if any got into PCGS slabs.

The coins I am writing about are independent of the ones ArtR writes about as I saw these coins at a NJ show perhaps five years ago and the dealer admitted they were AT. Subsequently, I think I have seen a couple of those coins in NGC holders. They are common date coins usually graded MS63 or MS64.

I will post an attachment later of my only Peace dollar, a 1922 graded MS64. The coin was in the personal collection of a well known collector/dealer for almost a decade by the time I bought it. He is also a friend of mine and I believe his story. He had obtained the coin from an old collection that was brought to him.

Tom, are you saying the Peace$ I posted in this thread and Greg as well are AT?

I don't think that is what you're saying though. I feel I know the type and the certain Peace$ that you are talking about.

I don't think that is what you're saying though. I feel I know the type and the certain Peace$ that you are talking about.

I've showed that coin to a bunch of people who either "know toning" or "know Peace dollars". I get about an even 50/50 split on natural toning or artificial toning. The only thing that most people agree on is that it is pretty.

I like the way the colors blend on the coin. I don't like the untoned area. Overall, I like the look of the coin and I am happy with it regardless of whether it is NT or AT. If it were a Morgan no one would question the toning.

Greg... now I'm confused "Which" one you are talking about. If it's the one you posted in this thread, I feel that one is fine. Now the other one I won't even go there.

Greg... now I'm confused "Which" one you are talking about. If it's the one you posted in this thread, I feel that one is fine. Now the other one I won't even go there.

I'm talking about the other one. I think it is a 1923 in NGC MS63*.

The one that I posted a picture to this thread no one has questioned the toning.

Thanks, I kinda thought so. The one I posted to this thread, and the one you posted (that I used to own) IMO they are NT. The " Other one" I used to own as well, as you know and I tried to give it the benifit of doubt at first. But there are many telltale signs that made me feel different. I know... I said I wouldn't go there, but just wanted to make sure we were in agreement which Peace$ we were discussing.

I don't believe I wrote anything in my post about the other Peace dollar images in this thread. Therefore, I don't see how I could have stated or infered anything about them.

Here is the reverse of the coin I promised to post earlier, I was having some problems with my scanner before. It has a much better range of colors in hand and has incredibly thick, dusty patina.

219711-new-11.jpg.7442a2bfaf437aa46aa459bfcc8a7e9c.jpg

Nice Peace$ Tom. I just don't see ones like this with what appears to be a true crescent (bag toned) Peace$. I can tell even from the scan it has nice original color and patina. With the exception of seeing some of the Binion Hoard, I've been to plenty of shows and don't recall seeing any like this. A true rarity imo. Thanks for sharing that.

I've showed that coin to a bunch of people who either "know toning" or "know Peace dollars". I get about an even 50/50 split on natural toning or artificial toning.

Greg,You will continue to get splits on a very large percentage of Peace Dollars for the simple reason that until this toning rage took off in the last couple of years you very seldom if ever saw a Peace Dollar with nice toning. They were not being held in strong collector hands as were the Morgans, but in the last year or so many have come on to the market. So most people who have been into toned dollars for a while will always question there origin.

I'll throw my hat into this ring... since toned Peace $ are my passion

As stman indicated I also own one of the toned Peace hoard...almost all of the coins in that hoard, if still in the NGC slabs will have cert #s -- 314475

I always see a few here and there, on Ebay, Teletrade, big and little shows. Those toned Peaces seem to be the most common of all toned Peace $. I was shocked by the sheer number up for auction this weekend.

As for AT/NT there is always a debate. Large hoards to toned Peace $ are rare. It makes me suspect, but the toning seems natural and both PCGS and NGC agree. I've seen these coins cross to PCGS plastic.

It's still very rare to find toned Peace $ with vibrant colorful toning. Most colors were dipped off them if there ever was color on the coin.And most Peace $ don't tone up well because of the planchet prep and storage methods.

I've got about 40 (3 seperate NGC registry sets) in my collection right now and I'm always looking for new coins. They range the gamet from beautiful rainbows to rather odd toning patterns. Crescents are very rare. The coin I'm looking for is the textile toned Peace. Album toning doesn't seem to be that rare and probably is what causes most of the toning on Peace $. Envelope toning also isn't that hard to find.

I'd love the know who the Chicago toned Peace $ collector is and have a conversation with him.

If anyone is interested in divesting themselves of their toned Peace $, please PM me so we can talk.

Thanks

Michael

I'd love the know who the Chicago toned Peace $ collector is and have a conversation with him.

I would too. I do know a few dealers and collectors who know him quite well. The man to my understanding is quite well off and had an in on many original Peace Dollar Rolls. He would keep the best end of roll toned pieces and trade or sell the remainder. I have been told that quite a few of the white Dollars that were in these rolls, wound up in some of the best Peace Dollar Collections assembled. So without a doubt these were not your everyday run of the mill Peace Dollar Rolls.

A couple of the people who told me about this collection have since passed on, and the others I have not seen in a couple of years. So as of right now I have no up to date information on the status of this collector as to if he is still active, or even alive.