• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Attention Seattle members!!!

12 posts in this topic

Remember a few months back when I suggested we have a get together in the Seattle area for those of us who are local to the area (or those not local who are willing to travel)? Well, it's time to start planning this as the summer is already half over! We have a lot of details to decide on, and since it was my idea I guess I'll volunteer to coordinate the details etc. I suggest we use this thread and a parallel thread on Numisaddict to discuss ideas and then I'll put all the details together and e-mail it to everyone. So here are some starting points:

Who? Anyone in the greater Seattle area or anyone that wants to travel up here from other areas.

What? A meeting of local collectors to have some food and drinks, share stories, experience and coins!

Where? This is up in the air. We can probably have it in my office, but since it's downtown it raises parking concerns and security concerns (my building is secure, but I'm not sure how people will enjoy carrying coins in downtown Seattle. If there are any members in the area who would like to host it, please speak up. Also, if there are folks that have trouble traveling, please let us know so we can coordinate that as well.

When? I think it should be either August 17 or August 23 or 24 (I am out of town before, and any later might interfere with Labor Day weekend). As for the time I am open for suggestions, given travel times etc.

Refreshments I will leave this up to everyone, if there's something you like bring it! For bigger stuff like pop or chips, we might just have one person bring that, but it's open for suggestions!

So let the discussions begin! We have a month to put this together!

I am in the process of moving to an Independent Living facility in Bellingham. I am not really that old yet, just need someone to look out for me after being ill for so long. I will be moved early in the week of August 3rd. The weekends of August 17th or 23rd work for me. Driving to Seattle is not a big problem. I get around just fine and I don't think that you all want to come to Bellingham. The only accomodation that I need is a place to sit down when I get there.

I will go to Downtown Seattle or where ever the group feels is the best venue and bring any refreshments you wish me to contribute to the cause. Since I am retired, Divorced, children gone and unencumbered (except for my cats), I am really flexible. You guys are still working and have less free time than I.

Now, if I can just decide which coins to bring!

Bummer, the 23rd and 24th won't work for me since I have to drop my daughter off at the airport to return to Vegas and plus i'm working both days as overtime. The week before works for me (preferably Friday or Saturday although Sunday will reluctantly work). I live in Kent in an apartment. Feel free to come to my place if it's more convienent. Let's do it.

Well, as far as dates go, I will be out of town until late night on the 16th, so the 17th is the earliest I could do it. We could also consider Labor Day weekend (the following weekend 8/30-9/1) but I figured most people would have travel plans or would otherwise be engaged.

Labor day weekend would work great for me. We'll have to run it by Charlie, though. Does anyone else live in the area?

I'm busy on the 17th, but have the 23rd/24th available. We haven't planned for Labor Day yet...

Still sounds like fun. I hope it works out. You guys want to see foreign coins? tongue.gif

I will have to get back to you about Labor Day Weekend. We are having a big family-get-together and I do not know the details of where and when yet. This weekend is not my first choice though. We could do it after Labor Day?

I will get back to you by tomorrow on Labor Day.

Personally, I'd rather do it in August, but I also hope this will be the first of many gatherings, perhaps we'll eventually do it twice a year. But we'll see how it works out, unfortunately with so many of us, it's likely that somebody will be left out this time.

By the way, a few people have mentioned concern about publishing the location on the web for security reasons, and I wholeheartedly agree. I will begin putting together an e-mail list, and will e-mail the address and directions etc. once the plan is final. So send me a pm of the e-mail address you'd like the info sent to.

This is a great idea! I am open for the date as long as I know a month in advance to work around my wife and kids schedule. Evenings work best for me.

Looking forward to meeting fellow collectors and seeing some coins!

Ok, time is running short, based on the feedback so far, we should do it on the 23rd of this month. Now, any suggestions as to location? If anyone wants to volunteer to host, send me a PM or e-mail. I'd like to at least nail that down as I am headed out on vacation this Friday and may not be on-line much during next week.

Sounds fun..........BUT...........having been a dealer for 25+ years, I would like to remind you that this does not sound like the safest thing to do.

I would like to think that ONLY good guys read this forum, but I had so many phone calls and horror stories over the years that I would feel remiss in not reminding you that there is extreme RISK in what you are planning.

I had bars, bells, buzzers, and guns and STILL got robbed at gunpoint. ONCE!

Sorry to throw cold water, but I ....hate....to see victims.

confused-smiley-013.gif