• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you put in the box?

32 posts in this topic

We are trying to put together a 20 coin numismatic box that the total contents can NOT cost more than $1,000. You and your friends, who are the other members of this board, each have $50. You can each buy 1 coin for UP TO the $50. This box is solely for fun, we are not talking about turning it into the investment of the century. You can buy a coin in any condition, from any country or any era. What would you buy to put into the box? For tonight I'm feeling in the mood to buy a 1925 Peace dollar in MS64. I like the design, and 1925 has a bunch of good looking Peace dollars.

Let's see what you folks would put in the box. Have fun...

EDITED TO ADD: Assume the coin is purchased in a state without taxes on numismatic items and that you pick it up in person so there is no shipping fee.

How about an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent in about F-12. That coin is about $40-45. It's historically significant in that it was the first circulating small cent.

Scott hi.gif

Sy, who is “we?” Are you really doing this or is this just for the sake of discussion? My contribution…

1878cc.JPG

I assume it is for discussion purposes.

I am always thinking a return on my investment its the way I am ( Sorry )

Under fifty you look for coin content / mint numbers ... I personally like

This un '

1594453-3be3_1_b.jpg

40% Silver Very low production numbers and a sweet coin to boot - these can be had for 45-50 less in an NGC holder - I have a roll in Mint Cello waiting to unload in the future smile.gif

1594453-b483.jpg

These are similar to my coins - Stole Pics off Sleezebay

Lazy Morning smile.gif

1594453-b483.jpg.9a9b4edd126a95a0558b6c5ffbc1c634.jpg

I would like a 1941-P MS65 Washington Quarter.

You mean like this??

qs41.jpg

Ok it is MS66 but you could still find it for $50.00 on a good day.

That is nice!! It even has a little toning at the bottom of the reverse. thumbsup2.gif

1943 Steal cent in the MS64-65 range.

1913-P Type 1 Buffalo nickel MS63 (or a 1938-D Buffalo nickel MS65)

Both these coins are inexpensive and very eye catching to collectors and non-collectors alike and each has interesting history attached.

Sy, who is “we?” Are you really doing this or is this just for the sake of discussion?

This is just for discussion purchases.

$52 is over the limit (nice coin though). thumbsup2.gif

I'm somewhat surprised we haven't had some ancients crop up yet. Truth be told, I know nothing about their price structure which is why I didn't put one in the box.

I would like a 1941-P MS65 Washington Quarter.

You mean like this??

qs41.jpg

Ok it is MS66 but you could still find it for $50.00 on a good day.

That is nice!! It even has a little toning at the bottom of the reverse. thumbsup2.gif

Bobby you may want to take a look at my sig line.

I checked out both the links the other day, but I never have clicked your big collection sign. insane.gif

Nice Washingtons! I wanted to start collecting Washingtons, have an uncirculated set of all the statehoods, and a few circulateds back to 67' but that's all. Somehow got stuck collecting jeffersons lately and it's thrown me off trail. Nice coins there Bruce!! thumbsup2.gif

I checked out both the links the other day, but I never have clicked your big collection sign. insane.gif

Nice Washingtons! I wanted to start collecting Washingtons, have an uncirculated set of all the statehoods, and a few circulateds back to 67' but that's all. Somehow got stuck collecting jeffersons lately and it's thrown me off trail. Nice coins there Bruce!! thumbsup2.gif

That first link is a joke. I have not imaged anything in that link in like 2 years. Terrible photos. lol As for my Washingtons I need to finish imaging them. I am 6 coins away from completing it. Most all the coins are MS 65 and up. Should you ever want to get into the Silver Washingtons let me know. I will be sure to help you out.

So not to derail this thread... I would add this coin to the box...

fp44s.jpg

I'd have to go with this:

1836 Capped Bust Half O-107 R-4 (less than 200 in existence!) $50.00

A little ugly, but there aren't too many out there to choose from! smile.gif

My_half_O107_image-1.jpg