• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's time to, "GUESS THE GRADE"

16 posts in this topic

OK......time's up! stooges.gif Let's see if anyone got it right.........well then, here's another picture of the same coin. Can anyone and let's not all hit the reply button at once, take a gander at guesing the grade this time?

Leo

217164-Ross52Jeff2.jpg.cfd925d6b329d75068243300600e4ecf.jpg

What a difference a scan makes. The first scan/pic led me to believe it was around AU58 but I'd be willing to guess XF40 based on the last scan/pic.

-Dave

I'm guessing that the coin is UNC. first of all, becuase i can't tell if there is any wear.

There only seem to be a few ticks, and the marks on the face are "as struck" and I have never known them to affect the certified grade. Assuming there aren't any hairlines or other marks that aren't show up well, I would call it an MS64 or MS65.

What a difference a scan makes. The first scan/pic led me to believe it was around AU58 but I'd be willing to guess XF40 based on the last scan/pic.

-Dave

This 1952 was cerified graded at MS65! From the first pics, I really thought this was a great buy at $40. The coin also showed a respectable 5 full steps and they were OK but the heavy artillery damage seen in the next pic including the carbon spot could not be seen in the first pics. The reverse is a nice MS65 but the obverse is a 62........He!!, who would want it?

Now, let's guess who certified this coin..........?

Leo

I'm guessing that the coin is UNC. first of all, becuase i can't tell if there is any wear.

There only seem to be a few ticks, and the marks on the face are "as struck" and I have never known them to affect the certified grade. Assuming there aren't any hairlines or other marks that aren't show up well, I would call it an MS64 or MS65.

Are you quoting from the last picture of the coin and $45 postpaid for your 62 providing the steps are nice and markfree. sumo.gif

Regards, Leo

Dave

Not my coin so never was I offended.

The PCGS MS65 was returned and refunded including post and ins. I have nothing against the seller. It's PCGS I'm disgusted with, I've returned many but as always, will continue the search for quality FS nickels. I've seen and have better coins in MS64 slabs.

Here's another PCGS MS65 coin that I would grade MS64. The hit on the check is very distracting.

Leo

217255-M63D.jpg.63aed22651786f6e7542300fa5f152d8.jpg

This 1952 was cerified graded at MS65!

Now, let's guess who certified this coin..........?

Leo

The use of the word 'certified' without a set of grading service initials attached always leads me to immediately think 'bottom feeder'.

Good point made Stujoe but the question would lose interest had it been a minor grading co.

Leo

Are you quoting from the last picture of the coin and $45 postpaid for your 62 providing the steps are nice and markfree. sumo.gif

Regards, Leo

Jefferson nickles often have striking defects of one kind or another on the lower cheek. A combination of weak strike, greasefilled dies, and strike throughs are to blame. I think this may be what acounts for most of the roughness on that coin's cheek. I have seen and I own NGC/PCGS MS66's and MS67's that look just like that, and these coins have mint made imperfections. These depressions, rough areas, and the like do not effect the grade of the coin because they are mint made and not damage. On this coin, I really can't tell if the depressions are bagmarks or the mint made rough spots from either of the pics, but the close up looks very much like the mint made roughness. If it is mint made, then I still say 64-65. I would just say 65, but I can't judge the overall effect of the scattered ticks that I can see on the reverse, and I can't judge the power of the luster. sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Regards, Leo

Jefferson nickles often have striking defects of one kind or another on the lower cheek. A combination of weak strike, greasefilled dies, and strike throughs are to blame. I think this may be what acounts for most of the roughness on that coin's cheek. I have seen and I own NGC/PCGS MS66's and MS67's that look just like that, and these coins have mint made imperfections. These depressions, rough areas, and the like do not effect the grade of the coin because they are mint made and not damage. On this coin, I really can't tell if the depressions are bagmarks or the mint made rough spots from either of the pics, but the close up looks very much like the mint made roughness. If it is mint made, then I still say 64-65. I would just say 65, but I can't judge the overall effect of the scattered ticks that I can see on the reverse, and I can't judge the power of the luster. sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

Whether the defects are bagmarks or mint made, the coin still looks like elcrapel.

And MS65, 66, 67 coins should not look like that. At least they won't in my collection. But I will agree with you that some marks to a lesser or greater degree, however they came about, depending on their locations, will warrant a proper grade. But not in a main focal area.

Leo

I was at a coin show today, and bought a 1956 Jefferson that looked about as nice as this coin, of course mine was raw and found in the bargain box, so I paid 20c for it. I think this coin looks like a nice unc, but that's about it.

Too many marks and understruck to boot. I will say MS64. If it was graded MS65, it has to be ICG.

Nope. PCG$. 5 posts back, make that 6. I really had my hopes up on this coin being nice. It took a couple of days just to get over the marks on the profile that I could see. The seller should send it back.

Leo