• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading scale for fakes

18 posts in this topic

To make looking at fakes more interesting, should we create a grading scale for fakes? FK01 - FK70? FK69 can be an Omega counterfeit and a FK70 can be an Omega without the Omega symbol. 60-70 can be microscope only. Something that is very good but can be seen with the naked eye, like the Die Hard dollar can be a FK58. FK01 should be super easy to spot.

To make looking at fakes more interesting, should we create a grading scale for fakes? FK01 - FK70? FK69 can be an Omega counterfeit and a FK70 can be an Omega without the Omega symbol. 60-70 can be microscope only. Something that is very good but can be seen with the naked eye, like the Die Hard dollar can be a FK58. FK01 should be super easy to spot.

27_laughing.gif

I like it!

I think that often then the lower grade fakes/counterfeits are the more interesting ones. Consider this contemporary counterfeit bust half. By your scale it can't be much higher than a FK-04, and that is in part what gives it its coolness. Plus, it has a mirror letter on the edge.

50c-cntft-1830.jpg

So there would be no such thing as a FK70, because a 70 would mean that it was the real thing. The nature of the scale implies that all coins graded on it are fake.

Does anyone follow my logic or do I need more sleep? confused.gif

I think that 1830 bogus bustie is a higher grade than you have given it credit for. Many of those were made so as to look well worn. So you have to be careful when assigning a grade. I think that coin has seen some actual circulation and except for the X scratched in it is probably around an XF grade wise, even though it started life with the detail of a VF coin. (Note the denticals on the rev from 6:30 t0 9:00. They are high and well formed with just a little wear while the design details close to them show much heavier "wear". The design details were never there in the first place and the wear on the denticals more likely indicates the actual amount of circulation it has done.