• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this coin has Upgrade Potential XF40 - PCGS

14 posts in this topic

Nope, in fact, I think it's maxed out. The image gives it a slightly cleaned appearance, but even besides that, the eagle's breast is completely flat, and I don't think there's much chance it will upgrade at any of the four certification services. Worse, if you crack it out, it might get bagged. Don't take your chances on this one!

My curiosity with morgan grading goes on!!! I see alot of chatter, but what makes you think this coin has been cleaned, besides not having any NT??

There are two factors that make the coin appear cleaned. First, it looks glossy. Now, that could be the imaging method causing that, so that's just an impression. Second though, there's quite a bit of dirt in the protected areas of the coin, but in the fields there's a sudden and complete lack of dirt. That to me is a very tell-tale sign of a cleaned coin. In general, if there's going to be dirt on a coin, it should be fairly distributed, not isolated to protected areas.

Its a TeleCRAP Picture .. it will be intersting to see what it looks like in person as thier pictures usually dont do the coin justice. However PCGS usually grades tough on Morgans hence the question .. I will post MY pictures when it comes in .. and decide even if its a keeper ...

MIke

It's probably just a bad picture. I think the overall appearance is about right for a moderately circulated dollar. As for the grade, VF35 is technically accurate, because the wear heavy enough to obscure some high-point detail. However, it's hard to say from that pic what is weak strike and what is wear. Possibly a true 40, but iffy.

I can't see than coin in an EF-40 unless the submitter gets lucky and wins an overgrade. The 1879-CC normal mint mark dollars I've seen in Mint State were well struck so you can't claim weak strike when it comes to those breast feathers.

If that coin were in an EF-40 holder, I won't buy it for EF-40 money. I'd pay Choice VF money, which is the coin's true grade.

Couple things I did not point out as it is in a PCGS XF40 holder but it is also a Capped Die Representation of the CC mint coin ...

Couple things I did not point out as it is in a PCGS XF40 holder but it is also a Capped Die Representation of the CC mint coin ...

Yes, I see better date Morgan dollars like this in EF-40 holders, and I don't like them. I won't buy them for my customers, and I'd avoid having them in my inventory. This is borderline EF-40, and that's being PC about it to make people feel better. I'd advise a collector to save a few more bucks and go for a better one at "PQ" price or go for an EF-45.

Follow Up ...

Looked pretty washed out in hand - the color just didn't look right. A little too many marks and wear for my liking and for the grade so I sold it on Ebay

893applaud-thumb.gif

Got $705 for it .... Overall I lost a dollar ... Better than actually returning it to Telecrap and get slammed with there restocking fee and eating the Fees and Shipping I guess ... yeahok.gif

Follow Up ...

Looked pretty washed out in hand - the color just didn't look right. A little too many marks and wear for my liking and for the grade so I sold it on Ebay

893applaud-thumb.gif

Got $705 for it .... Overall I lost a dollar ... Better than actually returning it to Telecrap and get slammed with there restocking fee and eating the Fees and Shipping I guess ... yeahok.gif

Did you by any chance take an image of the coin yourself? Or was the TeleTrade image accurate? I'd be interested to know if we all "interpreted" the images correctly.

No I did not and I Used Tele's Images to sell it as I did not want to take "better" pictures and have it NOT sell. In my mind I feel as though PCGS really dropped the ball on that one and you guys were dead on .. I also feel slightly embarrassed that I bought the holder and not the coin ...

foreheadslap.gif

m