• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay aution discription wrong maybe a deal

9 posts in this topic

I don't have much time to explain (I shouldn't be on the computer insane.gif ), but this is a "Hard Times" token, and the date is 1837, not 57.

The 'millions for defense' phrase comes from the Barbary Pirates issue the US Navy had in the early 1800s over by North Africa.

I would go on, but I gotta go. smile.gif

-Amanda

I don't have much time to explain (I shouldn't be on the computer insane.gif ), but this is a "Hard Times" token, and the date is 1837, not 57.

The 'millions for defense' phrase comes from the Barbary Pirates issue the US Navy had in the early 1800s over by North Africa.

I would go on, but I gotta go. smile.gif

-Amanda

Yep, I think Hard Times tokens (and Civil War tokens) are really cool. I've been looking at a few but haven't pulled the trigger on any yet. Thanks for mentioning the Barbary Pirates issue Amanda. When I read about US Navy expeditions in the 1800s I'm amazed by how far flung the efforts were.

This is one of the more common Hard Time's tokens you will encounter and these should be purchased without the extensive corrosion that this piece unfortunately has obtained.