• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition Gold Medal

6 posts in this topic

I don't know how many were made, but I think the bidding went as high as it did because the box was included. I own one of these and it cost me about $75 only a few years ago.

Thanks Tom. I think the design is really neat and just learned it was done by Adolph A. Weinman, the same designer of the Walking Liberty half. There's another auction without the box on the bay currently at $81. It will be interesting to see where the with-box and without-box end up.

It is a 'Gold Medal' but it doesn't appear to e a 'Gold' medal......

Paul

Yea, I doesn't look like gold to me either. It looks more like antiqued bronze. confused-smiley-013.gif

Antiquated bronze would be a good guess. I highly doubt it's gold and hope no one has purchased one thinking it is. I'm guessing the "Gold Medal" on it indicates award level like 1st prize but that's just a guess. Take a look at this size comparison. That would be a lot of gold!

I'm primarily interested in this for the classic design.