• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cross Grade Question - Comments Welcomed

5 posts in this topic

I posted this ATS a few days ago, but got no responses. I have an NGC 1953 Franklin PR 68 Cam. I know there is probably an imaginary ceiling on a grade of 68 for this coin (as there is for other coins in certain grades), but if I were to submit for a crossover, would my chances be better to do it as a crackout or leave it in the slab.

Is this even worth while to do this? Only 17 have this grade at NGC with none higher (except for Ucam) and only 3 have it at PCGS with none higher. Or do I just leave it as is and send it to NGC for a new holder?

The hairlines and scratches are on the holder. frown.gif

53FrankObv120.jpg

53FrankRev121.jpg

On an issue like this you would be asking that PCGS cross a condition census coin with brilliant proof surfaces that is in a scratched holder. There is no way in my opinion that PCGS would take the time to discern what is a mark on the scratched slab vs what is a mark on the coin. You would essentially be handing PCGS a crossover fee for nothing and would receive the coin back in its NGC holder. Personally, I would do the same thing as PCGS in rejecting the coin under those circumstances.

Get the coin re-holdered at NGC if the scuffs bother you.

On an issue like this you would be asking that PCGS cross a condition census coin with brilliant proof surfaces that is in a scratched holder. There is no way in my opinion that PCGS would take the time to discern what is a mark on the scratched slab vs what is a mark on the coin. You would essentially be handing PCGS a crossover fee for nothing and would receive the coin back in its NGC holder. Personally, I would do the same thing as PCGS in rejecting the coin under those circumstances.

Get the coin re-holdered at NGC if the scuffs bother you.

Thanks for all the comments. Based on what I've heard, I'm 99% sure that I will leave it as is. The scratches on the holder don't really bother me. In fact, about the only way that they are visible is in macro photography. I think maybe I was just getting a little greedy....going from a pop 17 to a pop 3.