• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question: 1956 Proof Franklins, Type I vs Type II ???

11 posts in this topic

I noticed this Franklin (ser. no. blanked out by me) in a NGC slab and even though I collect Franklins, I am not familiar with this Type I designation. Reading the description, I'm still confused about exactly what a Type I or a Type II is all about?

1956typeI.jpg

Description: This is the very rare 1956 Type 1 Franklin Silver Half Dollar. On the reverse, there are 4 wing flattened feathers left of perch on the reverse eagle. The four feather left of perch are found on all business strikes but found on only about 5% of Proof 1956 Franklins. This coin is listed as MB #5350 in the MoneyBucks Handbook for Minting Errors and Die Varieties First Edition by Ray Balsbaugh on page 132. This coin is listed in Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins on page 417. Breen 5241. The MoneyBucks Handbook lists a high value for this rare 1956 Proof Type 1 Franklin Half.

The more common 1956 Proof Type 2 Franklin is distinguished by having only 3 feathers left of perch and it has a higher relief to the eagle.

eagle56rev.jpg

I added to the picture of the eagle...is it your left/right, eagles left/right being refered too and what feathers are they talking about, ABCD?

What?(shrug)

Help! confused.gif

I noticed this Franklin (ser. no. blanked out by me) in a NGC slab and even though I collect Franklins, I am not familiar with this Type I designation. Reading the description, I'm still confused about exactly what a Type I or a Type II is all about?

1956typeI.jpg

Description: This is the very rare 1956 Type 1 Franklin Silver Half Dollar. On the reverse, there are 4 wing flattened feathers left of perch on the reverse eagle. The four feather left of perch are found on all business strikes but found on only about 5% of Proof 1956 Franklins. This coin is listed as MB #5350 in the MoneyBucks Handbook for Minting Errors and Die Varieties First Edition by Ray Balsbaugh on page 132. This coin is listed in Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins on page 417. Breen 5241. The MoneyBucks Handbook lists a high value for this rare 1956 Proof Type 1 Franklin Half.

The more common 1956 Proof Type 2 Franklin is distinguished by having only 3 feathers left of perch and it has a higher relief to the eagle.

eagle56rev.jpg

I added to the picture of the eagle...is it your left/right, eagles left/right being refered too and what feathers are they talking about, ABCD?

What?(shrug)

Help! confused.gif

You should feel fortunate that that is the one you have. That's a nice pickup. thumbsup2.gif Did you already have it or did you buy it because of the description?

I don't really understand the feather bit either, especially after seeing the picture and explanation from your post. One description I've heard is that the eagle on the Type 2 looks like an eagle on steroids compared to the Type 1 eagle. Type 2 is more buffed than the eagle on Type 1. laugh.gif

It's "D" ...I used to cherry pick them from dealers that really had no Idea a few years back.... Lucybop turned me on to them..

Thanks MAULEMALL....the power of these chat boards is awesome.

<<You should feel fortunate that that is the one you have. That's a nice pickup. Did you already have it or did you buy it because of the description?>>

Not mine 893whatthe.gifyet.

Hope this may hlep:

56types.jpg

YES! Now I can SEE the difference...thanks Lee thumbsup2.gif

Learn something new everyday...is there any room left in our noggins?

I can tell you that there is barely enough room in this noggin to remember what is necessary just to complete a standard date set, never mind all the varieties that are out there.

Hope this may hlep:

56types.jpg

Lee's image also shows one other aspect of the type 1 vs. type 2 reverse for '56 Frankies. That is that type 1's are MUCH tougher to find cameo examples of and almost impossible to find a dcam example of. Type 2 1956 Frankies are one of the 3 "common date" Frankies for dcam.

How do these compare with the business strike Type I and Type II coins of 1958. Are they the same, or are they different? I never heard or saw pictures of this distinction, and one of the coins I picked up at FUN was a 1958 NGC MS-64 FBL. I would like to know which type it is. Thanks.