• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Which half dollar do you prefer- Barbers or Franklins?

Which half dollar do you prefer- Barbers or Franklins?  

1. 1. Which half dollar do you prefer- Barbers or Franklins?

11 posts in this topic

And I would appreciate it if you stated your reasons behind your choice in the poll.

Which half dollar do you prefer- Barbers or Franklins?BarbersFranklinsI like both equally!I can't stand either one!

You need to hit that pollstop button in order for us to be able to vote.

Anyway, I'll pick I can't stand either one! since they are both awful designs. However, in pure B&W UCAM the Franklin can look good. Nothing, not even monster toning, can save the Barber.

I like them both but for different reasons. The Barber design is one of my favorite coin designs. My appreciation of Franklin Half has more to do with Franklin's contributions to the founding of our country as well as his many accomplishments in so many areas of science, politics and publishing. The coins are not prohibitively expensive in MS-64 and 65 and available in blast with or with a wide array of toning.

Given the two choices - the Franklin. I never have liked the Barber design. But the Franklin is certainly not my favorite of the half designs.

Toughy. I like the Franklin's design marginally better than the Barber, but Franklin's look so badly if they are not high grade. However, I just am not a fan of Barber's designs and can not warm up to them.

i always like the underdogs the best

non promoted

great value

not hyped

non run up

still waiting for its day in the sun

really scarce

low pop

classic barber coinage the best

and really good looking coins in

deep cameo proofs

gem unc.

monster/neatly toned ms/proof

choice vf/xf/au original business strike

some dates like 1901-s quarter in nice original fine/vf

brings tears to my eyes

I picked Barbers because they do marginally better in circulated grades for overall look than the Franklins do. While it's hard to find a good full LIBERTY Barber half, they look better in the F-XF grades than Franklins do. Once a Franklin loses its luster, it tends to look very ugly (in my opinion of course).

The Franklin is butt-ugly

The Barber is an "uninspired" design.

So I guess I like the Barber better but I voted NEITHER.

As far as Greg's post about DCAM's: I'm not a real big fan of proof coins as it is but I much prefer a CAM'd Barber. I like them toned better than Franks too.

If it's an interesting set to build I'd still prefer Barber because putting a nice set together will certainly take more time and be somewhat of a challenge.

jom