• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clad FT dimes now scored

12 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Scores for clad dimes 1965 to date with Full Torch (FT) have just been added. The silver FT dimes were already scored, so the series is complete now.

Setting aside the due/due issue, am I reading the NGC pop figures incorrectly or is it the case that for lots of clad dates NGC hasn't (yet) slabbed a single FT dime? Indeed, my reading of the NGC pop report is that NGC has slabbed FT clad dimes for 12 different date/mintmarks, out of about 80 or so date/mintmarks that exist. Given this, how can NGC assign weights? Do you think they went to dealers and asked them their opinion of the scarcity FT clad dimes for different dates? But how many dealers actually give a rat's due/due about FT clad dimes?

Any opinions how these weights were determined?

Mark

Not just NGC but PCGS as well neither have many clad FT dimes.

As to assigning points, how they come up with that I don't know.

I have been looking for clad FT Roosevelts for months and found very few.

Glen

Glen:

I concur with your assessment, but I think PCGS might have a slightly easier time for two reasons. First, they grade a LOT more clad dimes than does NGC and so their data base is bigger. Second, they are waiting for another month or so before they determine their points, which again will give them a bigger data base. I think the bigger the data base, the more accurate the assessment of rarity can be. But I still have doubts as to the accuracy of whatever PCGS will come up with for weights.

Mark

Mark

Over the last eight months I have made my own data base for FT dimes.

Derived from looking at thousands of dimes from each date.

Mint sets, rolls, dealers stock, show after show.

I have bough every dime that even looked close.

And I don't think I have more then 200 silver and clad.

I have compared notes with Nick Cascio, Cladking and some others that are into moderns dimes.

Clad dimes are going to be just like Full Step Nickels. Some dates will just not have FT.

Clad FT dimes are going to be very hard to complete much harder then silver.

And the average grades will be lower too.

I'm waiting to see how PCGS rates them.

PCGS assigned weights to the set already, which from what I see is very well proportioned to the reality of the coins.

Although I think PCGS will just give them all a couple points for FB.

To mix with the weighted set.

Not like NGC with different rates for each.

Now that is guessing I think, but it makes my set look good.

Glen

Glen:

Any chance of telling us (actually, me) which clad dimes will be tough in FT (or FB)? How about how I tell you that I totally concur with your assessments of everything...and how your collection is tip top....and how I bow before your knowledge...and laugh.giflaugh.gif

More seriously, your data is quite likely very interesting. Because I don't truly expect you to share (sob, sob) nor should you be expected to share, nonetheless can you qualitatively indicate whether you tend to agree or disagree with NGCs implied rarity rankings?

Thanks.

Mark