• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anybody At FUN Notice Any Interest With Franklins?

14 posts in this topic

I noticed Heritage had some. At least a couple with very high reserves. One at 10K. There was a few that I would really have liked to have. laugh.gif

I was hunting toned Frankies and while I found a few.....most were blast white and their weren't nearly enough there as most tables had none. Greg allen had quite a few......and then one other dealer had maybe 15 coins........so it was really a little disappointing.

I did pick up a very nice End Roll toned 63-D that I bought.......but I think most wouldn't like the coin as it has one of those typical dead spots in the color in the middle of the coin but I liked it so...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm an ex Franklin collector and was really dissapointed when I sold my collection a few years ago. I sold a PF66 Deep Cameo '53 Franklin that went for about $2800 when I had paid in excess of 3K for it (can't remember the exact price). By chance I looked at a recent one that went for about $2500. In retrospect, now that I've grown just a little bit and can only remember that Franklin in my mind, I would not have graded it as a 66, rather, a PF65, but what do I know. Well, I do know that I wouldn't by any Deep Cameo anything without actually studying it with a glass, beforehand.

Overall though I think Franklins have picked up a little, but just a little bit since then. I do think the high grade Cameo and Deep or Ultra Cameo's are under-rated and under-priced.

My impression, which may be wrong, is that most Franklin collectors are into blast white and when they're into toned examples, they are usually lousy toned examples.

Really nice toned Franklins are very hard to come by, I think, and anyone who puts together a collection of great toned Frankies (regardless of this FBL nonsense) will have a truly remarkable set. I'm very tempted myself.

I was hunting toned Frankies and while I found a few.....most were blast white and their weren't nearly enough there as most tables had none. Greg allen had quite a few......and then one other dealer had maybe 15 coins........so it was really a little disappointing.

I did pick up a very nice End Roll toned 63-D that I bought.......but I think most wouldn't like the coin as it has one of those typical dead spots in the color in the middle of the coin but I liked it so...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd love to see pics of those Frankies!

sorry for the add on, but I was looking back at the Heritage auction, and the

1951-S NGC67* didn't sell and is a buy it now at $16,100.00.

I think in 2002 or so, this coin would have easily sold. It's totally magnificent, but it's a condition rarity, and condition rarities, at least in my belief, are lousy investments. I'm not saying I'm an investor in coins, but I think an astute collector would look at the value potential of their coins. Why pay so much more for one grade point above and not have the guts to take it out of it's holder? But what I'm saying doesn't deny that it is a truly fantastic coin.

The 1957-D FBL NGC MS67, totally gorgeously toned coin that I would love to have, didn't sell, and is a buy it now for $2,990. Only a few years ago, MUCH lesser quality PCGS coins of the same grade and FBL sold for over 3K.

If I had the money, I'd buy it, but I wouldn't expect to get my money back if I had to sell it.

Ask and yee shall receive........again I liked the coin but I believe most would have passed regardless of price ...............that the way this hobby works though!!!

PCGS MS64 End Roller

1963DObv.jpg

1963DObv2.jpg

1963DObv3.jpg

1963DRev.jpg

I really like that 63-D.

As for Franklins at the show: there were none. Nobody had any. Either that means there is such an amazing interest in them that they were all sold out, or nobody cares about them so nobody carries them. Either way, there were absolutely none.

That 1951-S NGC MS67*FBL Franklin was being sold for over $25,000 a few years ago by a dealer. It could get $16K just as easily, in my opinion, because there's just no steady market for such condition rarities. Who's to say what it's worth? When said coin was in a PCGS MS66 holder a while back, it sold at Heritage in the 5K range. Just a thought 893whatthe.gif (look it up!)

thanks coinman for pointing that out. It's just more evidence that this whole grading hysteria is just nuts, imho.

Shane, that looks like end roll toning to me. Congrats on finding these toned Franklins! and thanks for posting them.

the PF DCam 66 PCGS that went this year, sold for slighly less money than the one that I both paid for and then sold at auction oaver 2 yr ago.

Someone made a comment about 9 months ago ATS that "their time will come." I know this time last year the 2 price lists I receive in the mail never had any Frankie's...maybe a proof or 2. Now both have circ and uncs listed. $2-$20 range stuff and it's never listed a 2nd time!

Jerry