• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I give Negative, Neutral, or Positive feedback?

32 posts in this topic

So I just got in an order I paid $150 for on eBay. Coins are safe, they came very quickly, but the guy just through them all in together in a 8 1/2 x 11 padded envelope. They were all in airtites, which are now scratched up. I mean come on, for $150, I think they could afford a little bubble wrap. I've already gotten positive feedback as a buyer. Is that horrible packaging job (which could have resulted in a coin popping out of its airtite) worth a neg or neutral, or should I just leave a positive feedback but note that the packing job was pathetic?

Well if there wasn’t any damage then I would leave positive feedback. As a general rule, I always try to work out any issues that I may have had with the buyer/seller directly before leaving neutral or negative feedback.

The airtites were part of the deal. It's annoying because I'll have to buy replacements for the ones I'm keeping. I'm going to sell the duplicates.

Contact the seller about this problem then proceed from there.

The airtites were part of the deal. It's annoying because I'll have to buy replacements for the ones I'm keeping. I'm going to sell the duplicates.

AirTites are 47-55 cents each at JP's Corner. Order a bunch and put them away until you need them. AirTites should be the least of your worries.

To resort to my New York roots: what are ya gonna do... bust a gut over a 50-cent piece of plastic? Fuggedaboutit! makepoint.gif

How about just giving the guy positive feedback and don't sweat the small stuff! poke2.gif

Scott hi.gif

If the coins are fine and it's just the air-tites that are scratched, I'd leave a positive and move on. Lots of air-tites I get from bay purchases, even if they are securely/safely mailed in bubble wrap, have been scratched up over time, i.e. they are old. I normally expect to, and do, replace air-tites for coins I buy from the bay.

The only time I expect the air-tites to be in good shape is if the description specifically says they come in "new" air-tites. Even so, at < 50 cents a piece I probably wouldn't bother with it. Now if that $150 of coins was say 150 coins, then I can see being annoyed at having to buy 150 air-tites.

It's not so much an issue with the airtites as it is that the coins were inappropriately packaged. One or more coins could have easily been damaged and that's what makes me the most upset. It's not like I ordered them from the US mint, after all. I've sent him a pm/email/whatever via eBay letting him know that the coins arrived and I'm annoyed at how he packaged them. I don't think I'll leave him any feedback. If he acts like a jerk about it, then I'll serve him a neutral stating only the facts. Otherwise, that'll be that.

AirTites are 47-55 cents each at JP's Corner. Order a bunch and put them away until you need them. AirTites should be the least of your worries.

To resort to my New York roots: what are ya gonna do... bust a gut over a 50-cent piece of plastic? Fuggedaboutit! makepoint.gif

How about just giving the guy positive feedback and don't sweat the small stuff! poke2.gif

Scott hi.gif

Actually there were nine coins in the lot so it would be $4.50 and shipping from JP's is $5.00 so it's "busting a gut" over $9.50

It's not so much an issue with the airtites as it is that the coins were inappropriately packaged. One or more coins could have easily been damaged and that's what makes me the most upset. It's not like I ordered them from the US mint, after all. I've sent him a pm/email/whatever via eBay letting him know that the coins arrived and I'm annoyed at how he packaged them. I don't think I'll leave him any feedback. If he acts like a jerk about it, then I'll serve him a neutral stating only the facts. Otherwise, that'll be that.

Big to do about nothing in my mind ... its was a coin sale Not an airtight sale

The coins got there undamaged so he has done his part. I am sure you did not ask him BEFORE you bid if the air tights were new or scratched you bought the coins ... He deserves a positive with a comment inserted about packaging

my 2c

It's obviously not a huge deal, I agree. But I did fork over $7+ for shipping and got a handful of coins dumped into a mailer. Thank goodness the coins arrived safely, but I'm frustrated at paying that amount of money for spoon packaging.

Edit: ...And really, isn't my not giving him any feedback better for his business than me giving him a positive with a complaint about his shipping? I think I'm being pretty nice about this actually.

You know, I'm still debating giving an ebay seller negative feedback over something (and he already left me positive feedback, so I'm not afraid of retaliatory negative feedback that some slimebags will do without hesitation), so I understand your dilemna.

Personally, in this case, I wouldn't leave feedback at all, and just email him politely about your concerns re the shipping. See how he responds to that? At least you've got time to think about leaving a neutral or a negative, once you've cooled down about it. I wouldn't leave him a positive though.

1.) Have you addressed the issue?

2.) Have you requested additional air-tites to replace the damaged ones?

If no, then I do not believe a negative is in order.

I always put on the note when I pay "Please package in bubble wrap to protect from damage in shipment". That said, I understand that my idea of protection and someone else's idea of protection are two different things. After all, is not one of the uses of air-tites to protect the coin?

Ok, so you paid 7 bucks for shipping. You knew the price of shipping when you placed your bid.

My wife used to sell this liquid diet product. Being a nice person, she included the plastic liquid measuring cup that she paid for extra in with the order. Many of those got broken. Those who asked, she replaced. But guess what? After a while of paying for postage to ship that little thing, well, she just stopped being a nice person and gave them what they paid for, and left them to measure the dosage by what ever means at their disposal.

Give the seller a chance to make it right. If you were the seller, would you not want the opportunity to make it right before you were left negative? You betcha. You know that "do unto other's" thing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just MHO.

I decided to just leave a simple "got the item; fast shipping" positive and let that be that. I didn't think a neutral was completely warranted and I didn't want to give th impression that I was holding his feedback hostage. Call it a little residual holiday spirit. I did send him a couple of ebay emails to let him know what I thought about the packing situation. I likely won't be doing business with him again though.

I decided to just leave a simple "got the item; fast shipping" positive and let that be that. I didn't think a neutral was completely warranted and I didn't want to give th impression that I was holding his feedback hostage. Call it a little residual holiday spirit. I did send him a couple of ebay emails to let him know what I thought about the packing situation. I likely won't be doing business with him again though.

That sounds the most fair. thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

I'm struck by the difference in how this question was received here vs. ATS. I got constructive comments here and now I'm being applauded for my handling of the situation. Over there, I was criticised heavily, insulted, and added to several people's blocked bidders lists. What a bunch of *spoon*. Only a few of those posters had anything productive to say.

heheh Looked at that and was amused - what can you say ... People are amazed WHY there are so little Quality posts over there now - They are all here

It sounds to me (and yes, I read the thread in progress, every post) that you got upset, and are still upset, because you didn't get the responses you wanted to hear. I really didn't see "heavy criticism" or insults you mention, or at least I didn't perceive them that way. In my opinion, as a relatively mild-mannered poster who doesn't participate in online drama, YOU look bad, because of your posts/complaints about this matter, now on two message boards. So I'm sorry I can't add to your applause here, but if you are willing to entertain input that doesn't agree with your perceptions of the situation...there it is!

Okay, perhaps 'heavily' wasn't the right word, but I was accused of trying to sponge more airtites off the guy when they were clearly part of the auction and I had a reasonable expectation that they'd be shipped to me in good condition. I admit, I did become irked when I was accused of being the problem and one or two people started talking about adding me to their blocked lists. That pissed me off - I come to the forum, ask a reasonable open-ended question and before long, I become the target. There's no question the seller messed up on the packaging issue, but somehow I'm the bad guy for daring to question him on it. Okay, whatever. If having the nerve to speak up and ask advice for dealing with a problem makes me look bad, then I guess I look bad. Poor me. 1568834-rolleyes.gif

1568834-rolleyes.gif.68257e1f2789ccc4b95c3aafb8d84501.gif

Many of the folks here hold back on negative remarks and don't say how they really feel.If they don't have something good to say they just don't post.

It's not that way ATS. With that many reading a post, you are going to get a more accurate idea of how others feel about a situation. One thing is for sure. If you ask for opinions ATS you will get them. Yes, some are jokers but most are just flat out honest post of how they feel. If I don't want honest answers, I don't ask there.

How scratched up were the holders? Was it obvious damage from the poor shipping or did it seem like the wear that would come from normal use?

Here, maybe this will cheer you up. This is the second box I got from this guy in Germany that I bought clocks from. The first one looked like this, so when I ordered from him again, I asked him to double box the clock (in broken German). This is what I got.

I photographed it so I could send him the pic so he'd see what transatlantic travel does to boxes marked FRAGILE, but I decided not to bother, unless I purchased something from him again.

1569630-box.JPG

1569630-box.JPG.de50b0326e3e1dfc5c18cfd859dde46b.JPG

I believe you handled it fairly. For what ever it's worth, in business and personal dealings, some of my best vendors are those that I encountered a problem and they fixed it.

I always say, the difference between a good supplier and a great supplier is how the problems are handled. Anyone can sell in an envorinment where there are no problems. Eventually problems arise. That is where the cream rises to the top.