• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Several questions regarding coins received.

2 posts in this topic

I recently sent two coins in for grading, an 1884-O Morgan VAM-14 and 1826 50¢ O-110. I didn't realize that the only VAM's which are designated are those in the top 100 or hot 50 list. My question is if the coin did not meet the requirements for variety and not labeled with a variety why was I still charged for the service? I would imagine the staff at NGC could see that the VAM-14 did not qualify and just edit the invoice.

The 50¢ was not graded due to artificial toning. The variety was attributed on the body bag sticker and I was charged for the verification. Why verify the variety if the coin is a no-grade and still charge for it? Also, if the graders felt there could have been another reason for a no grade on the half, such as light cleaning, would this problem be listed or is only one problem identified before bagging? For the express service charge it would be nice to receive a full analysis of a problem coin.

What exactly are the terms of the Re-Grade service, are you charged if the coin does not upgrade? The 1884-O mentioned above was the cleanest raw dollar I have seen in a long time and was only graded MS-65. When compared to other NGC MS-66 and MS-67 Dollars it is clear the coin was under graded.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

-Broc

• Administrator

Hi Broc:

Thanks for your questions. I have responded to each in turn:

You are charged for VarietyPlus service because your coin was reviewed by an attribution expert. When VarietyPlus service is requested, a VarietyPlus attributor examines your coin for any possible NGC recognized variety. This is the service for which you are charged, and the service is rendered equally whether a variety is assigned or not.

The VarietyPlus service is always performed before a coin has been finalized (graded by NGC’s most senior grading staff). The attributor does not examine a coin for grade, but for attribution only, so the service is performed regardless of whether the coin is gradable by NGC or not.

In most cases of coins that cannot be graded, the most severe problem is noted on the tag. Our graders do note multiple problems on occasion. There are coins, to my understanding, that are artificially toned to hide surface problems such as improper cleaning. A coin described as artificially toned, and not graded by NGC, may also be improperly cleaned without being noted on the No Grade tag.

As with VarietyPlus, you are charged for grading when a grader examines a coin. During regrade a full service is rendered. In fact, regrade is virtually identical to a normal grading service with the additional step of removing a coin from it’s NGC holder prior to grading.