• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1822 penny - please help!

8 posts in this topic

I have a friend who just had to re-do his roof and the workers found a penny from 1822. He's wondering if it's worth anything, and I told him that he could get it graded if it's in nice shape, but is it worth anything?

We think it's a: large cent, coronet head with 13 stars.

Also, how do you go about cleaning it?

Thanks guys!

Series 11 -- Coronet Head Cents 1816-1857 Regular Strikes

Coin # Description Desig G F VF EF 55 60 63 64 65 66

1822 BN 20 37 98 225 490 575 910 - -

From PCGS daily price guide. Considering it's history, it's probably grades good to fine which means that it's probably worth $20-40.

Thanks Vic! I have some free grading cupons from CGC that I haven't used yet because I'm a comic collector, so I may help my friend out and get it graded for him.

I appreciate your help!

- Jamie

But I wouldn't clean it! I cleaned some copper Lincoln cents that had the Memorial reverse- none valuable, just coins from circulation. They turned out an unnatural, unattractive pinkish color. Most long-time coin collectors dislike cleaned coins immensely as they they to be scratched up or have unnatural color. Some collectors use a special "dip" but I believe it works best on Uncirculated or Proof silver coins, and does not work well on circulated coins and other metals- and even on silver it will impart an unnatural look to a coin if used incorrectly, or used too many times on the same coin. So I wouldn't recommend cleaning it.

Yes, do NOT clean the coin, because in doing so you risk either abrasion or chemical damage (or both) that can easily render the coin unsellable.

If the projected value warrants, I'd recommend submitting it to NCS (Numismatic Conservation Services) for conservation. Their numismatists can evaluate the coin and then carry out conservation using a variety of techniques that improve the coin's appearance without causing damage or physical alteration.

At your election, NCS can also forward the conserved coin to either NGC or their own service for grading and encapsulation.

Good luck!

Beijim

1) Do NOT clean it under any circumstances. NOTHING you do to that coin will enhance its value. It might look better to you after being cleaned, but to a collector it will be ruined. You will lose probably 80% of the value if you clean the coin.

2) Can you post a picture of it? We can kind of give you a grade/value idea if we saw a picture.

If you clean it you might as well then punch a hole in it and use it on your keychain as it will lose all of its value.