• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did You Experience Problems With a US Mint Order This Year?

Did you have problems ordering or with your order from the US Mint this year?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Did you have problems ordering or with your order from the US Mint this year?

21 posts in this topic

Just curious on this one. I'm making it a poll and I'm also interested to hear (short) stories. Personally, I had never had a problem until this year, when I ordered the gold SF commemorative and it came out of its holder and scratched up, and I ordered the 20th anniversary ASE set and the first one arrived with the UNC out of its case and so scratched it might have graded as high as MS-60 ... and the replacement was still sent damaged but it came so late that if I returned it, a replacement would not have been sent because it was too close to 2007.

I ordered both types of Proof sets, the two San Francisco mint commemoratives and the gold and silver commemorative sets. Like so many others my San Francisco coins both arrived out of their capsules and wondering around in the box. Fortunately, the coins were not damaged.

My commemorative gold set arrived with the capsules out of their holding places, but the coins were in the capsules and the capsules were not scratched. I can't understand why the the mint can't deliver the coins firmly in place in the boxes. I've never seen this problem in prior years.

One of the Proof sets I ordered came with this Sackie dollar in the case. UglyProofSakie.jpg

This is worst Proof coin I have ever recieved from the mint in more than 30 years ordering them. Previously the worst coins had only had fingerprints. I guess I could have tried to sell it as an error, but I just returned it. The trouble with returns is that YOU have pay the postage for THEIR poor service.

Overall I'd say this was a very bad year for mint service. With all of the extra business they are getting from their new (and unnecessary IMO) products, there is a chance that it will only get worse. frustrated.gif

The only problem I had with the mint in 2006 was my fault I forgot one order I placed .I ended up doubling one order and when things started coming in at first I was mad because of the unexpected expences from my debut account then happy because i got some great sets.Inow have started writing down my orders when i place them

I completed several US Mint transactions this year. For the first time in many years of dealing with the mint I received a coin that needed to be returned for quality reasons. However, the return process was seamless and within 12 business days I had a replacement in my hands. I must admit that based upon the success I've had with the US Mint I am often surprised by the high quantity of negative comments directed to them by others.

I just returned my SF gold half eagle for a replacement.

As for return postage, I read a letter in Coin World last week that said if you call the customer service number after the mint receives back the coins and request a refund of your postage, they will send you a check. I've never done that before, but I will try to get my $6.80 back this time!

The Mint honored all of my orders. The last coins I received were the San Fran Mint Commemorative, the ASE 20th anniversary set and the Legacy set were all in excellent condition. To my 10X loupe the coins are pristine without a hairline or a flaw. thumbsup2.gif Excellent, top notch quality. cloud9.gif I do not plan on having them slabbed and graded but will leave them in the original packaging.

My only gripe is that it took nearly four months for the ASE order to be completed and three months for the Legacy set. None of the coins I received this year were out of their holders or damaged or anything like the horror stories of the gold SF coins. I must be blessed or there is always next year to be surprised 893whatthe.gif

I've ordered a lot from the Mint this year and had mixed experiences. Generally speaking, quality control has been disappointing except in the case of the Franklin commems, which were very nice overall.

The San Francisco Old Mint commems have been a huge disappointment. My original order of $5.00 gold coins, both proof and uncirculated, suffered from open capsules and resulting damage. I returned all for replacement. Replacements finally arrived last week, over a month later, and almost all were again out of their capsules. This time I returned half for refund - the others miraculously escaped scuffing or other damage.

The Silver $1 Old Mint commems suffered from poor handling and production damage. I received several proof examples with hairlines, clearly a result of sliding them across some abrasive surface. I received several mint state examples whose frosted surfaces suffered from pitting, gouging, and flecking.

The surprise was the proof $50 Buffalo coins, all of which were (despite their soft gold composition) very high quality and perfectly packaged.

Oh, I almost forgot - the proof Silver Eagles were also very high quality and perfectly packaged.

So it was a mixed bag. The Old Mint coins were a sad ending to 2006 where I'd hoped for quality comparable to the Franklins. I suspect the poor results have to do with the rush to produce and ship all coins prior to the December 31 deadline.

Best,

Beijim

I order very sporadically and have not had a problem and all my shipping charges get a free upgrade to priority express 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I must be special ...

NOT!