• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Mint should learn how to pack for shipping!

4 posts in this topic

I can't recall a year in which I have sent back so many coins to the Mint for replacement because of poor packaging. Sometimes it has been coins floating around outside their plastic capsules. Sometimes it's been crushed boxes.

My 2006 Legacy set arrived yesterday in this big box which mainly had empty space and only a thin layer of packing:

legacy1hl0.jpg

So the coins were lying lonely and pretty exposed at the bottom:

legacy2af4.jpg

Leaving a crease on the front cover:

legacy3yk1.jpg

Very fancy display of the coins:

legacy4dh7.jpg

After having bought this set, I think I will pass in coming years. The fancy displays are not as interesting to me as the coins themselves, all of which I had already purchased.

Rich

If you are anywhere near the Eastern US , drive over to Shelby Drive , Memphis , TN where one of the distribution centers is located . Besides looking like ghetto row , the road was literally an obstacle course full of pot-holes and metal protrussions . Over this last year it has been paved and brought up to almost useable standard , however the roads around it , HWY 78 (Lamar Street) and Winchester and etc are all in total dis-repair . It is a total wonder that the trucks leaving the shipping center can even get a mile away before blowing their tires out ! Luckily , the Memphis airport is only a few blocks away , so the packages get a small rest from the earthquake like drive from the facility for those somewhat lucky packages that get on a plane .

I drive that road at least once a week on my way over to Arkansas and say that at least it has just been repaired . I imagine that the coins from the mints get flown in , but if they arrive to the distribution center by armored trucks or worse, dry vans , they probably take a severe beating enroute.

Another perspective that does not get any thought.

I have been lucky so far and have gotten all my mint products in immaculate shape and shipped as promised ....which truly amazes me . -John

Contact the Mint's customer service number and complain. The shipping is handled by a contractor who is not performing properly. Let the Mint know!!

BTW: The government is closed on January 2 in memory of the late President Gerald R. Ford. The Mint will also be close that day. So if you call, plan your time accordingly.

Scott hi.gif