• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the Reasons I Love My Wife

22 posts in this topic

My wife complained to me today... she said that she is running out of ideas for gifts. First, she gives me a 1909-S VDB graded VF30BN by NGC. Then she finds a 1928 Peace Dollar in AU condition (not graded because it is in the album). My last birthday she found the classic 1955 DDO, which is at NGC being graded as I type this. Now today for Chanukah/Christmas, I was given a stuffed buffalo with the following coin in a Capital Plastics holder attached by ribbon to the buffalo's neck:

1550381-3LegsBuffalo.jpg

Sorry for the bad image, I used a scanner since my camera is broken. But the coin is in about Fine (F-12) condition. It is wonderful! I am very impressed and have been looking at it all day.

Now... do I get it slabbed or just put it into the Buffalo Nickel album? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

1550381-3LegsBuffalo.jpg.cc2a254849093c72d1db85df6f7ab50b.jpg

Wow. Does your wife actually pick your coins? My wife "gets" me coins but wants me to pick them since she doesn't know what I want.Anyway, here's what I picked for part of it this year, as part of my new collecting endeavor:

qtr1877obv.jpegqtr1877rev.jpeg

My wife complained to me today... she said that she is running out of ideas for gifts. First, she gives me a 1909-S VDB graded VF30BN by NGC. Then she finds a 1928 Peace Dollar in AU condition (not graded because it is in the album). My last birthday she found the classic 1955 DDO, which is at NGC being graded as I type this. Now today for Chanukah/Christmas, I was given a stuffed buffalo with the following coin in a Capital Plastics holder attached by ribbon to the buffalo's neck:

1550381-3LegsBuffalo.jpg

Sorry for the bad image, I used a scanner since my camera is broken. But the coin is in about Fine (F-12) condition. It is wonderful! I am very impressed and have been looking at it all day.

Now... do I get it slabbed or just put it into the Buffalo Nickel album? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Scott hi.gif

That is just SO freakin awesome thumbsup2.gif

One of the many, many reasons that I love my wife is that she lets me do whatever I want, where coins are concerned.

We must be married to sisters. MIne is the same way. What's not to love? 893applaud-thumb.gif

One of the many, many reasons that I love my wife is that she lets me do whatever I want, where coins are concerned.

Yeah, I can't complain there. As long as I'm only playing with discretionary income -- after the bills are paid and all our planned retirement savings are put away -- I have a pretty loose leash. It helps that she knows what I paid for most of my coins relative to what they're worth.

Wow. Does your wife actually pick your coins? My wife "gets" me coins but wants me to pick them since she doesn't know what I want.

She knows where my want list is and how to read my coding. She takes the list and talks with a local coin dealer who is very honest and helps her with the purchase.

As for other hobby endeavors, she encourages me to be more involved. She was happy when I was elected to the board of my local coin club! We support each other's interests and our collective interests, which makes this a fun marriage!

Scott angel.gif

It looks like a solid F++ to me - probably VF-20 on some days!

There was a time when this coin might have needed to be certified, but the spread on these has narrowed so much in recent years that certification means little, unless there's a question of authenticity. The good news is, it's one coin that is generally easy to distinguish fakes from real ones (yours looks real).

I would vote against certification in this case.

Hi Scott!

I hope you had a merry holiday ( By the pic. I can tell you did!) I am very happy about your find! I am going to be doing some searching over the holidays for some too. BTW I tried to buy your Smithsonian book if you still have it I'll be in touch soon. How is Boomer? You know what? - Your the only person on this board I've ever met....For all of you that don't know it this is a great guy and his wife is very nice too. Anyway congratulations!!!!!!

Hi Scott!

I hope you had a merry holiday ( By the pic. I can tell you did!) I am very happy about your find! I am going to be doing some searching over the holidays for some too. BTW I tried to buy your Smithsonian book if you still have it I'll be in touch soon. How is Boomer? You know what? - Your the only person on this board I've ever met....For all of you that don't know it this is a great guy and his wife is very nice too. Anyway congratulations!!!!!!

For those who do not know, Boomer is a puggle puppy we adopted from Fred and his wife earlier this month. I wrote about Boomer here. Boomer is just fine, happy, and is showing that he is as stubborn as a pug and beagle with his potty training habbits. Since I am working from home this month to help train him, we had our daily siesta where I lay on the couch and he snuggles his face into my beard--which is close enough to my nose for him to lick when I snore! smile.gif

Obviously, it's been a good few weeks for us. Boomer is at my feet as I type this and the 3-Legged Buffalo is next to the computer. All I need is for my wife to come home from work to make it complete!!

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I hope everyone had a great holiday!

Scott hi.gif