• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You can keep your Arrows & Rays, I'm DONE with Type Coins

21 posts in this topic

Some of you have talked about how your collecting interests will wane in one area while you pick up another series. This happened to me lately, and the "series" I picked up was the elusive "type set".

Let me start by saying that I'm a $200/coin kind of guy. That's usually all I want to spend on one coin. Sure I'll go higher, but I'd rather not. Maybe that's my peril. It just can't be done - the Type Set - in any kind of respectable manner, at that price point. Sure, I *like* Trade Dollars but a VF20 Trade Dollar? Spool up the computer, it's going on eBay. Same way with many other types, they just cost too damn much in better grades. So... I set off to build a XF/AU type set - concentrating on just silver coins for now.

I scoured the far reaches of the internet - eBay, NGC Marketplace, all the David Lawrence type sites, and so on. In the "real world", I devoted a few hours each Saturday looking for Arrows and Rays and Barbers and Exposed Breasts - and while this made for a good excuse to "go for a ride", my saddlebags would usually only carry home a few Mercs or Walkers. Certified type coins were (are) non existant in the stores in my area, at least at $250 or less.

One coin in particular was giving me fits, the Barber Half. Seems they just don't exist in XF/AU without being dipped out, AT'd, or the least offensive - overpriced. And with the Barber's lack of depth of field even in MS, even the nice (overpriced) AU coins left me cold. Herein lied the rub - I was collecting coins I didn't care for.

Which brings me to the happy conclusion - I'm back where I started with a renewed interest in collecting. Mercury Dimes, Franklins, and Walkers. And there's LOTS of fine material at fair prices. Blue periphery MS67 Mercs for $75, mint-set toned Frankies for $50, and beautiful original Walkers are plentiful in NGC and PCGS holders.

Someone on this forum once said that the good thing about type collecting is that you'll often find out what excites you, outside of your normal collecting habits.

Well... I found I really like Bust Halves and they're not too expensive in XF/AU. Add Bust Halves to my short list of coins I collect. Thank you "Type Set" : Mission Accomplished.

It seems like your journey down the Type Set path was educational at least. That's always a good thing. Good to hear that you're still into coins.

Best of luck...

EVP

Some series really do look terrible in circulated grades. I'd have to say Franklins are one of them, but to each his own. Walkers, on the other hand, stay pretty all the way down to AG3 wink.gif One of my favorite series. Mercs are great too, as long as you don't go crosseyed looking for a 42/41 (a class three doubled die, not an overdate). I gave up, guess I'm just going to have to buy it already slabbed (the horror).

I agree re: circulated Frankies. In fact, while the design doesn't do much for me, I really like the patina of the silver on the MS coins, and the wonderful toning they can take on. I guess it's the wide open fields that contribute to the pleasing effect, and of course the old mint sets.

Speaking of 41/42 Mercs, Look at the pop reports - there's several $0.89 coins in slabs because people thought they had something! There are about 32 coins in NGC slabs dated 41 and 42 that are circulated. Add ANACS and PCGS and were talking probably $2500 of certification fees wasted! grin.gif

I think that your experience collecting Type material is pretty common. I also collect Type and it has led me to collect other series on many occasions. I think that many collectors branch off Type into other coin collecting areas.

With so many series available, sometimes it is difficult to determine what will work best for your asthetic tastes, budget, etc. Also, my collecting tastes have evolved somewhat over many years. I still collect Type coins however, as a sideline.

I agree, Franklins look great in MS with plenty of luster, but circulated, they look ugly.

Bust halves, even in lower grades still have a certain beauty that make them a great thing to collect (well, at least the earlier dates do... the non-reeded ones that are slightly larger than a current sized half dollar).

As for the Arrows and Rays... I'll take 'em!

Body bag, interesting post. Makes one think.

Yet, I'm fascinated with having a complete collection of types. I've dreamt of it since I was a kid and I'm just now doing it. I sympathise with many of your points, i.e. Barber coinage, but it's just a hurdle to overcome.

re: Franklins I just upgraded my type Franklin from a '61 proof to a '61 cameo proof. Franklins and Kennedys are spectacular as cameos but very boring otherwise, IMO.

Thanks for the post. I found it motivating.

Going for the complete type set can get tiring. In the liberty seated series alone that is Drapery, No Drapery, Arrows (twice), and Arrows and Rays. All of this can come in as many as six denominations. 893frustrated.gif

To me the worst seated types are the 1873-4 with arrows coins. They are scarce and expensive and a lot of the Mint State pieces are poorly made, butt ugly and pricey. AND it's not immediately clear to most collectors why they were issued. (It had to do with the Metric System and dreams of international coinages.} As a dealer I can tell you that those coins are not "easy sells" because mostly the very advanced type collectors are the only people who want them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My advice is to relax and just go for some of the basic coins to start. For example you could get a seated half dime, dime, quarter, half dollar and silver dollar. Then after you have collected some other stuff, you can go back get all the draperies and arrows and the like. That's what I did.

For most people a coin collection is an on-going process, and you can't do everything all at once. It takes years. But, if you love the hobby as I do all of that keeps things interesting.

And if you stay it for 40 years as I have and keep your colection intact, you will be amazed by the pieces that you will own that you never dreamed you would have when you began the whole process. For example I have a Chain Cent, 1793 half cent, 1796 quarter, a Gobrecht Dollar and a high Relief $20 gold. When I started it seemed as if ALL of those coins would always be beyond my reach. But over 30+ years I've gotten them all. cloud9.gif

Bill,

Great news! After extensive research, I've determined that I am your one and only legitimate heir! grin.gif

May I call you "dad"?

No mon, no fun, your son...

One thing that I like about typesets is that you don't have to include types that you don't care for. The challenge for any collector is to find a niche that allows them to buy coins they like that are within their budget. For me its a self-defined typeset; for others it might be (and often is) specializing in one or more series. smile.gif

BC

I've found a new appreciation for Seated material, but will admit it can be frustrating to find attractive pieces for the short-lived Types. This especially holds true if you prefer toned coins. And like Bill Jones said, the 1873 and 1874 Arrows Type seems to be the hardest to find with any eye appeal.

One thing that I like about typesets is that you don't have to include types that you don't care for. The challenge for any collector is to find a niche that allows them to buy coins they like that are within their budget. For me its a self-defined typeset; for others it might be (and often is) specializing in one or more series. smile.gif

BC

Amen. While I liked "type" (actually variety) I and II reverses on 1875-76 dimes and type I and II obverses and reverses on trade dollars of the same dates, I wasn't into the drapery vs. no drapery seated halves. I found a type set I can live with, and you'll read about it if Numismatist publishes my article. smile.gif

Good points - look at all the Kennedy types, yeesh! And don't you hate to see those Capital Plastics holders with those two big ugly Ike's next to the Peace dollar?

If I do complete my type set, it'll be on my terms and not what the Registry sets say you have to have.

For instance, for Half Dollars, I was (am) planning on adding the few commems that were commonly circulated, but skipping 3 of the Seated types.

I'm taking the "poor man's route" if you will on Type set...I bought the Dansco album...7171 I think...I'll let them decide the type set definition for me...and I'm not even gonna go for the gold pages. sumo.gif

There are two GREAT books on Type sets, one by Dave Bowers and the other by one of the Stacks. Comparing the two books, there are a lot of areas that neither one agree on.

When deciding what I wanted in my Type Set, I read both of those books, then looked at other examples of Type Sets, and then figured out which Types I wanted to collect. For example, I think a 1794 Half cent is enough of a difference to call it a unique Type, but I have no interest in 1793 Beaded Border cents because they are too similar to the cents of 1794 and 1795.

I used to say I was a type collector, but the more I think about it, putting together a type set for me was just a convenient excuse for buying pretty coins that really didn't fit anywhere else in my collection! 893whatthe.gif So, while I am not in any hurry to add a slabbed silver bicentennial quarter to my type set, it does get me to look more closely at all the coins in the case at coin shows, and occasionally I take one home with me.

My copy of the "United States Type Coins", by Norman Stack is dated: 1986 Update and is published by Stacks. I have always liked the coin photos of Gem specimens in this book, whether or not you subcribe to Stack's variety theories or not.

I always like to raise the bar a litle with Type Set coins and just not collect the generic dates that will get the score. I like to use better date coins, maybe even slightly lower grades (or higher prices) for better material, when practical. This adds more challenge to the quest and creates higher gratification with the product. Probably makes the product more saleable in the long run, because the buyer finds pleasant surprises with almost each coin.

The Dansco album I filled is 7070 (but may have changed due to updates such as the Sac Dollar) and is a good Type Set to create.

Since I completed it, I have moved the coins into a 2x2 notebook (hope to check out the Eagle Type Set notebook in Baltimore and maybe pick up either it or a notebook and a load of holders) and expanded the set (not to mention the challenge) tremendously.

A Type Set by nature and especially one that includes more than just 20th century is a long term project. How much of one is really dependant on the person building it.

I find them to be fun and a good way to jump from a series you've collected for a long time into a new one you never thought about before.

I find that I will sidetrack and follow a specific type (i.e. Nickels, dimes) until I have completed that type/variety set. In perspective, it is all headed in the same direction of a USA Type Set but deviating through a series of Micro-focusing on a particular denominations or type coins (i.e. Seated Libs) along the way.

I learn alot this way. It provides mental challenges (history, and grading), exposure to series that I have no experience with (reading and learning) and it keeps the batteries charged with excitment in the hobby. I also can run 2-3 concurrent channels towards the same end.

I'm about the same way. I'll find one piece in a nice grade for a decent price, so then I'll start researching what it would take to complete a set. So far I've branched out via the Type Set into Indian Cents and V Nickels (goal: Set at Full LIBERTY or better) mainly. I've thought about getting into Bust halves a time or two but really haven't followed up on it though. From there... who knows.