• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with rejected coins sent in for grading

12 posts in this topic

I recently sent some coins into NGC for grading. One was a 1962 proof set and the penny wasn't graded due to PVC residue. Another was a 1921 Morgan and it wasn't graded due to improper cleaning.

Any suggestions on what I can do with these? Hold onto them in raw form, send them to NCS, or try to sell letting everyone know the reason they couldn't be graded?

I recently sent some coins into NGC for grading. One was a 1962 proof set and the penny wasn't graded due to PVC residue. Another was a 1921 Morgan and it wasn't graded due to improper cleaning.

Any suggestions on what I can do with these? Hold onto them in raw form, send them to NCS, or try to sell letting everyone know the reason they couldn't be graded?

It doesn't sound as if it would be worth the $ to send them to NCS. Many collectors are too strongly influenced by the opinions of grading companies. Think for a moment about why you acquired the coins in the first place. If YOU like them, keep them, and if you don't, sell them and disclose the problems you mentioned.

Again, that depends on what you purchased them for in the first place. I know that there are collectors out there that will by reject coins just to have them. Some are collectors just to have certain coins with no monetary future or maybe becuase they are not financially able to purchase a coin in good shape. confused-smiley-013.gif

A body bag (rejected for grading) does not necessarily mean that the coins cannot be graded. I’ve had coins body bagged by NGC, and then I sent the same coin to PCGS with no changes, and they graded it. I’ve had that PCGS refused to grade, but NGC graded them. Sometimes I think these guys have quotas to fill for body bags. I’ve had coins rejected where it made no sense at all to penalize me.

When I get a body bagged coin that has no hope in my opinion of grading, I put it out for sale marked as such. You would be surprised how fast some of those coins sell despite that.

Every coin that has some rarity also has value. It’s just a matter of pricing it fairly. Some collectors on a budget are happy to get a coin that they could not otherwise afford.

Improper cleaning makes a coin less desirable but doesn't make it worthless. I have some cleaned coins that I really like. And I got them at a good price too. The bodybag syndrome on these coins can confuse the collector into thinking that they are worthless whereas really they are only discounted. If you want to sell the coin, you'll have to discount it a little. If you like it, keep it and enjoy it. --Jerry

These are the type of coins I put in my raw coin albums along with my other cheap material which is not worth the cost of slabbing (20 coins in 2x2's per page). These stack nicely in my cases at shows. I usually price them at a significantly discounted price describing the problem. I have had even dealers buy them to use them for coin jewelry. I probably do not have more than 3-4 of these coins at present as I avoid problem coins. Recently I sold a key date Barber Dime (I described the problem - circular count mark on the reverse) for considerably more than I would have taken with a "make offer." The guy posted positive feedback on it - I often wonder if he was a coin doctor. It baffles me that someone would have jumped on this when there are much nicer coins in my online store not moving. Ebay has been really slow lately, this is the worst December I have ever had. Frankly I do not think they have any money. Unless you own a shop where you have walk in traffic willing to sell at 50 -60% of CDN bid, its a real dogfight to make any kind of decent money in the coin business these days.

Sometimes I think these guys have quotas to fill for body bags.

I don't think they have a bodybag quota, but sometimes I do suspect that they do have a quota of coins they have to examine each day, and if they find themselves falling behind an easy way to catch up is BB, BB, BB, Grade, BB, BB, BB, Grade etc. (Not that blatant a pattern of course) After all the company gets paid anyway, and many of the BB coins will get sent in again and the company gets paid twice to grade the coin once.

Sometimes I think these guys have quotas to fill for body bags.

I don't think they have a bodybag quota, but sometimes I do suspect that they do have a quota of coins they have to examine each day, and if they find themselves falling behind an easy way to catch up is BB, BB, BB, Grade, BB, BB, BB, Grade etc. (Not that blatant a pattern of course) After all the company gets paid anyway, and many of the BB coins will get sent in again and the company gets paid twice to grade the coin once.

Well they don't get paid twice with me. It's one strike, and you are out, even if I think they are dead wrong. I'll send the piece to the OTHER service rather than give them a second chance.

The last unwarranted BB I got was for an 1873 no arrows quarter I had graded the coin MS-61 or so. The coin was heavily toned with shades of blue, brown and gold, but the luster came through fully on both sides. The BB read “environmental damage” which was pure garbage. The coin was not pitted or rough or rough at all, the surfaces, aside from the toning, were fine.

it is true that I've had coins bodybagged by NGC (one try), only to be graded by PCGS at first try and vice versa. If the coin is of appropriate value, I would resubmit until it's not worth resubmitting any longer.

Also the coins you send along with a questionable coin might get it bb'd. In a thread ATS I just posted my worst submission--3 for 3 BB. One probably should have graded but the grader already had the BB labels out...

]obv-1.jpg