• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting real tired of some of the members of the Universe!

91 posts in this topic

It seems that this side of the world seems a lot less stressful, a lot of great info is emparted here, no personal bashing for the sake of it. It seems here dealers and collectors can happily coexist a lot better. I like a good argument but arguing for the sake of it is tiresome. I am a newbe and have a great desire to learn, I will make mistakes at times in what I say or think, but that is the only way to learn. But I am getting tired of being creamed by the ole timers on the otherside who think they know it all, all of the time and have a superior attitude to boot. I think I am going to hang around here for a while. Thanks for being here and thanks for having me.

Edited: to say that I joined 2 weeks ago when we thought the universe was going to end and received the welcome wagon so I don't want to get welcomes that arent warranted.

I never joined the universe but I have been ATS on occasions and I agree with you about the stress. It can get stressful over here as well.

Welcome and good luck to you. thumbsup2.gif

Welcome. smile.gif

Please keep in mind we all got creamed as newbies on either board, but it is mostly with complete honesty.

Sure there are folks that just say it as they see it.

Others just give soft hints to the truth as they see it.

Enjoy all that is out there. smile.gif

Realone, I read and post on both boards. I do think this board is less stressful than the other board. One thing I can say is to not let people's comments get to you. I have learned over the last year that there are many types of people on these boards. There are people that will give you their honest, blunt opinion. There are people that like to share information. There are people that pridefully like to share their new coin purchases and get opinion on their coins. Last there are a few that do like to bash and just be critical. After a while you know who they are. I. for one, do not argue with them because I know it is senseless. I just go about reading the posts that I choose and making the comments I want to make. This way I stay happy and enjoy coins--my favorite hobby.

Realone,

You'll love it here. There are loads of great people here with more information than you'll ever be able to absorb.. One thing though, watch out for jgrinz, he's quite the joker. poke2.gif

It is nice here.

There are only a few guys ATS that have heads the size of large watermelons (the good old fashioned seeded variety wink.gif ), the only sad part is they have a large crew of followers that will fight for them to stay in favor---I have always called them lemmings----blind followers, but still cute furry mindless little guys insane.gif

I guess it all makes coin forums fun.

Listen and learn from the smart guys-- it is easy to pick them out,

Ignore the bully's-- I am sure you can easily pick them out,

Remember to laugh to yourself at the lemmings---they really are funny little things --Make a mental image of a FURBY....

cool.gif

I think the tone over hear gets heated at times, but not near as much over there. You don't see 300 to 400 post about Burning Superior to the ground over a mistake in some listings. You don't see dealers flogging each other for the most part. There is knowledge on both sides, just got to learn what to bypass. Never let what people say about your coins go to heart. Good or bad. Don't let the round metal disk totally take you over. Give them floor space only. wink.gif

It is nice here.

There are only a few guys ATS that have heads the size of large watermelons (the good old fashioned seeded variety wink.gif ), the only sad part is they have a large crew of followers that will fight for them to stay in favor---I have always called them lemmings----blind followers, but still cute furry mindless little guys insane.gif

Remember to laugh to yourself at the lemmings---they really are funny little things --Make a mental image of a FURBY....

cool.gif

I specifically picked out my icon for this chat board when I arrived not long ago, a lemming, to lampoon the absurdity that people will go to in order to be accepted over at CU. Accept me for what I am, for what I know and want to share...teach me something new, I am willing and here to learn. thumbsup2.gif

Just so you know where I am at, I am floating on both forums, I am presently frustrated with the Universe over there but I am still posting over there at the same time. I think it is healthier to be a member of both. As a newbe, 1 1/2 years into coin collecting, the old stuff, I have a lot to learn and yet due to my business background and what I have learned in coin collecting up to this point in my crash course of course I feel I have a lot to contribute too. My weakness with in the technical, the grading aspects, differentiating between AT and NT, but I am a purest at heart so I only appreciate the original surfaces and respect those that understand the nuances of grading, detecting counterfeits,and picking the natrual toned coins out. I am learning the errors and varieties aspects eagerly and got to say my job is to learn and this is one of the best places to do it.

BTW I love a good argument but I dislike bashing for the love of bashing.

It is nice here.

cool.gif

I specifically picked out my icon for this chat board when I arrived not long ago, a lemming, to lampoon the absurdity that people will go to in order to be accepted over at CU. Accept me for what I am, for what I know and want to share...teach me something new, I am willing and here to learn. thumbsup2.gif

Interesting observation. thumbsup2.gif

My term for it is Pecking order. You have a choice to compete for domination, remain neutral and understand it for what it is, or become passive and become a social part of the order. Individual personalities will dictate which role each person takes.

My position is to remain neutral and only occasionally will I step out on the limb. Dominance is only important to me under particular circumstances and is not important to me in a chat room and I’m everything but passive.

BTW, this is a normally occurring social behavior both with humans and most animals. grin.gif

I read both boards as well, And to be Honest when I read this statement, I was under the impression you were just another kool aider...

Heck look at Bust anyhting that NGC encapulates, I will pay the big money on PCGS over NGC anytime, in fact I just stay away from NGC unless the dealer that I buy from allows me to send the NGC holdered coin on a one day service to PCGS at my expense if it crosses I buy it if it doesn't I pass and return it. I flatly don't trust anyhting in a NGC holder period, I realize of course there are some that are fine, I have one or two, but I sent them to experts and paid to have confirmation that they were ok for the grade on the holder. This is what a dumb newbe has to do to survive the coin game.

I read both boards as well, And to be Honest when I read this statement, I was under the impression you were just another kool aider...

Heck look at Bust anyhting that NGC encapulates, I will pay the big money on PCGS over NGC anytime, in fact I just stay away from NGC unless the dealer that I buy from allows me to send the NGC holdered coin on a one day service to PCGS at my expense if it crosses I buy it if it doesn't I pass and return it. I flatly don't trust anyhting in a NGC holder period, I realize of course there are some that are fine, I have one or two, but I sent them to experts and paid to have confirmation that they were ok for the grade on the holder. This is what a dumb newbe has to do to survive the coin game.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You thought I was a Kool aider 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You thought I was a Kool aider 27_laughing.gif

No Stanley 27_laughing.gif...The post I copied was made by realone ATS

BTW, exactly what is a cool aid drinker?

It can be thought of as someone who acts or believes that PCGS can do no wrong. Whatever they put on their slabs must be the truth. PCGS is infallible.

The term "Kool-aid drinker" derives from the Jim Jones religious cult down in Guiana that on orders from Jones committed mass suicide by drinking Kool-Aid (actually Flavor-Aid) laced with cyanide. Over 800 cult members died doing so. Hence Kool-Aid drinker: to blindly follow someone else to ones own doom.

BTW, exactly what is a cool aid drinker?

It can be thought of as someone who acts or believes that PCGS can do no wrong. Whatever they put on their slabs must be the truth. PCGS is infallible.

The term "Kool-aid drinker" derives from the Jim Jones religious cult down in Guiana that on orders from Jones committed mass suicide by drinking Kool-Aid (actually Flavor-Aid) laced with cyanide. Over 800 cult members died doing so. Hence Kool-Aid drinker: to blindly follow someone else to ones own doom.

Thanks Conder,,,I didn't have time to go into J.Jones as I had to go to work.Thanks for filling in the hole thumbsup2.gif

Heck look at Bust anyhting that NGC encapulates, I will pay the big money on PCGS over NGC anytime, in fact I just stay away from NGC unless the dealer that I buy from allows me to send the NGC holdered coin on a one day service to PCGS at my expense if it crosses I buy it if it doesn't I pass and return it., I realize of course there are some that are fine, I have one or two, but I sent them to experts and paid to have confirmation that they were ok for the grade on the holder. This is what a dumb newbe has to do to survive the coin game.

I don't understand why you (the OP) made this ridiculous statement ATS ???

Are you just trying to fit in there (see the definition of a lemming), or are you trying to win the approval of some of the watermelon head ego's ??

Not saying this to be disrespectful (really), but why make a statement like that--If you are a coin collector and not a plastic collector who cares what plastic is around the coin---you are buying the coin correct?

I have a lot of bust coinage in NGC holders as well as raw and in other companies plastic as well, and you know what------ I pay for what I think the coin is worth--I do not throw the seller a few extra bucks because of the logo on the plastic. The coin is my hobby, the plastic is just holding the piece I am collecting.

I personally think you owe NGC an apology for making that statement. I too am critical of the grades placed on some coins by all the TPG's and will always express that feeling when I see it, but to make a blanket statement like """ I flatly don't trust anything in a NGC holder period""" is just wrong.

Sorry to say this in public here, but your statement was also made in public for us all to read.

As to which forum was this comment made in, here or ATS and was this made by the OP?

Edit: The "Cool-Aid" logo was really revived ATS and reved-up during the "First-Strike" issue because it was thought that the TPG's used FS as only a marketing gimmick. "Hey Cool-Aid"

My thoughts, realone, were that you enjoy "bashing" until someone calls you on it. Then, it seems, you become defensive and lash out rather blindly. I've read your posts there and other places. I hope you can learn to get along a bit better here. But starting out with a thread like this one is not exacty getting off on the right foot. So far you've bashed both sides. Who's next? Keep in mind that both places have some very fine people, and many post in both forums.

Maulemall

Realone's quote from across the street

As to which forum was this comment made in, here or ATS and was this made by the OP?

Edit: The "Cool-Aid" logo was really revived ATS and reved-up during the "First-Strike" issue because it was thought that the TPG's used FS as only a marketing gimmick. "Hey Cool-Aid"

It doesn't really matter where it was stated.

And the kool aid tag has been around for years..well before the first strike bruhaw.

It seems that this side of the world seems a lot less stressful, a lot of great info is emparted here, no personal bashing for the sake of it. It seems here dealers and collectors can happily coexist a lot better. I like a good argument but arguing for the sake of it is tiresome. I am a newbe and have a great desire to learn, I will make mistakes at times in what I say or think, but that is the only way to learn. But I am getting tired of being creamed by the ole timers on the otherside who think they know it all, all of the time and have a superior attitude to boot. I think I am going to hang around here for a while. Thanks for being here and thanks for having me.

Edited: to say that I joined 2 weeks ago when we thought the universe was going to end and received the welcome wagon so I don't want to get welcomes that arent warranted.

I post on both sides of the street---(more ATS than here)--am not an "ole timer". Don't confuse personal bashing with people disagreeing with you--for instance on your "negotiation" thread yesterday. If you want to learn, then pay attention to what everyone has to say and stop taking discussion and differing viewpoints personally.