• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Early Releases" ?

12 posts in this topic

Just saw some 2006 W UNC ASE's in NGC holders with the term "Early Release".

Is this the new "First Strike"?

If so, I am glad to see they finally changed the term to what it really is.

MM 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If true, I commend NGC for abandoning the "First Strike" label, even if under duress. "Early Release" more accurately defines the program and should have been used from day one. "First Strike" has been numismatically defined over the years to be related to die state, not ship dates. Thank you NGC. Now if the other TPGs follow suit I can officially end my rant on the topic.

Forget the silly designations, they shouldn't be holdering all this stuff to begin with.

NGC used to have a policy not even to grade modern and bullion related stuff, and they should have left it that way IMO.

Like Denver Dave I am still a little uncomfortable with the term "Early Release" because it does seem to imply something that got out special before the regular release, but I will agree that it more accurately describes the coins than First Strikes did. I can accept "Early Release" as a marketing term. But it means something else I have to get a specimen of now. smile.gif

Hard to believe six years ago I didn't own a single slab, and now I have over 350 of them with no two alike. (BOY did I NOT know what I was getting myself into.)

And I still refuse to buy or even look at slabbed coins for my collection.