• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Results of NCS>NGC are in

11 posts in this topic

I submitted 10 coins a month ago and finally got the results. The only real casualty was an 1853-D $1 gold that is coming back bb'd. NGC bb'd earlier this year due to AT.

A 1950 Franklin was bought in a PCI holder as a Wow!! 69 DCam (which I knew was not, but was hoping to get a 65 Cam out of it) but was given a PR 65. I wasn't really unhappy about that. Another Franklin, a former PCGS 1956 Type 2 PR 68 Cam, that failed to cross a few months ago because of a pin head size spot was given a PR 69* Cam. Happy with that. The third Franklin, former Hallmark 1954 PR 67 Cam, crossed at the same grade. A raw MS 65 1883-O Morgan came back MS 65*. Happy with that. Another raw Morgan, a 1900-S bought as MS 64 came back as MS 64. An 1880-O NTC MS 65 came back as MS 62. Oh well...no more NTC for me. At least not at a premium price. A 1925 S Peace Dollar crossed from raw MS 64 to NGC 64. A 1928 S Peace bought raw at MS 64 went to MS 63. And finally an Indian $2 1/2 that I received as a gift raw graded MS 61. All in all I was pretty pleased with the results. I've certainly had worse. smile.gif

Edited to add the dates of the Franklins.

All in all it sounds like you did pretty good.

Do you have an image of the 1950 Franklin PR69* ?

Sorry, I just edited my post because I negleted to enter the dates of the two other non - 1950 Franklins. boo.gif That would have been very nice. Anyway, they haven't arrived yet. I will post the images of the Franklins when they arrive. I also have a 1953 PR 68 Cam arriving from Heritage in the next couple of days. I will image that one as well. smile.gif

I think you did fine on your submission. Those old Hallmark coins seem to be graded very well. I've had a few upgrade and a few cross at the same grade. I belive that company was started by Q David Bowers and a partner.

I submitted 10 coins a month ago and finally got the results. The only real casualty was an 1853-D $1 gold that is coming back bb'd. NGC bb'd earlier this year due to AT.

It's very unusual to AT a gold coin. Probably tried to cover up an old cleaning.

I am impressed with your results! Now, are we to understand that some of these coins required NCS intervention?

All 10 were sent to NCS just in case. The last couple of submissions to both PCGS and NGC, I recieved a few in bb's for various reasons - AT, spots, cleaning, etc. The 1956 Franklin was in a PCGS holder and graded at PR 68. It looked at least cameo to me, so I tried to cross to NGC a few months back. It didn't cross because of a small spot on the obverse. At the same time the 53-D $1 gold came back as AT. I agree with Perry, that after failing NCS this time, the AT must have been covering something.

I sent in the 1950 Franklin as a precaution due to the fact it was graded by PCI as a PR 69 DCAM. A couple of the Morgans and both of the Peace dollars had some colorful toning, so I was trying to avoid the AT at NGC. One came back with a * so maybe it was natural.

NCS may not have worked on all, but I'm sure they did with some. Considering the grades I received from NGS, if NCS did work on them, they did a wonderful job. Maybe I'll break the '50 Franklin out of its holder and send it to PCGS in hopes of a Cameo designation. I hear they need the money. smile.gif