• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thank you NGC!

13 posts in this topic

I wanted to publically say thank you to NGC for allowing the ANA's summer seminar advanced grading class a free same day submission as part of the class. We each had an opporuntity to submit 1 coin. They were sent via FedEx on Monday and they came back today! PCGS backed out of their side of deal (1 submission at the same service also) and NGC was the only one who stood up to it. Thank you.

Cameron Kiefer

Maybe PCGS didn't want all the grading class students to ask the teachers why their MS66 (according to all the standards in the marketplace/ANA guidelines/PCGS guidelines only graded MS64). 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

That's a nice added bonus. I'm surprised PCG$ would back out. I would imagine only a few dozen coins would have been submitted. Cheap 893censored-thumb.gif! Someone should ask why over on the Q&A forum.

So, what did you submit and why? And what did it grade? Did you get the grade correct?

This was a courteous gesture on the part of NGC, and PCGS not going along with the program made it even moreso.

This makes no sense to me. Several weeks ago, PCGS gave people 4 regular submissions for a $25 annual collector's club membership. I plan on submitting my coins at a show for upgrades. So for submitting four coins, I may be tapped for $50 (including shipping)? This generated a lot of PR with the coin collecting community.

In light of the preceding paragraph, why did they not 'match' NGC's offer? How many coins are we talking about? I know nothing about marketing, but I have quite a bit of common sense.

26 Students. 26 gradings at NGC and 26 at PCGS. 1 for each student at each service. The instructors said PCGS didn't call back and respond in the last few days.

Cameron Kiefer

This makes no sense to me. Several weeks ago, PCGS gave people 4 regular submissions for a $25 annual collector's club membership. I plan on submitting my coins at a show for upgrades. So for submitting four coins, I may be tapped for $50 (including shipping)? This generated a lot of PR with the coin collecting community.

In light of the preceding paragraph, why did they not 'match' NGC's offer? How many coins are we talking about? I know nothing about marketing, but I have quite a bit of common sense.

It's the typical PCGS way: 1 step forward, 2 steps back. However, in the last 6 months is seems to be 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

I didn't submit anything of my own. I submitted a merc dime that is owned by another YN. I forget the date, but it came back 66FB and we both thought it had a shot at 67. Nicely toned and flashy luster. So, i guess it dosen't count as my own submission.

David Vagi submitted a 1915 (I think) matte proof buff. All three graders (instructors 1 of which are from NGC) gave it a 67* and one grade of 68. We took off the label and it was a PF66! The most undergraded coin I have ever seen. Awesome toning and totally mark free.

Cameron Kiefer

I've posted some threads over on the PCGS forum.

You posted some threads over at the forums of the place that didn't honor their free grading offer?

Good move. 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

I've posted some threads over on the PCGS forum.

Oh. Do you always come back for more after you've been kicked? 893frustrated.gif