• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

As technology improves, will it become easier to CONTERFEIT coins?

8 posts in this topic

How easy is it to obtain a press that can exert from 10 to 40 tons of pressure makepoint.gif? Is obtaining such a machine and operating it for the express purpose of forging numismatic items both practical and economically viable 893crossfingers-thumb.gif? I suspect the answer is no. At the very least, won't the neighbors complain 893frustrated.gif?

Of course, if we're talking about forging statehood quarters, then I retract all my gainsaying 27_laughing.gif.

Beijim

within my specialities how the coins come and how i see them and their charactistics

for me................i do not think so

sincerely michael

the problem is most all of the collectors that really do not specialize

nor take it as a religion

for all of their lives

since they were very young kids

like me..........lol

well pt barnum put it well

you may be able to fool some of the people

some of the time

even some of the people all of the time

but you will never fool all of the people all of the time

sincerely michael

Laser cutting (or even EDM) machine tools are pretty expensive and pretty knowledge intensive to use. The investment with even a used 40T punch press, would be pretty high. Plus, you could not send the dies out to be hardened or polished. A lot of know how and capital involved, but like anything else, it could be done.

As the technology for counterfeiting improves, chances are that the technology to discern the counterfeits also improves. Of course, the second technology should lag behind the first. But, undoubtedly it will improve as the other improves.

EVP

I'm with EVP on this one - the fact that counterfeit detection methods will improve was my first reaction to the question (though I failed to post it). It mirrors advances in forensic science. Although it may remain possible, it's increasingly difficult to, as they say, get away with murder.

Beijim