• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Made a little trade today - what do you think?

9 posts in this topic

I had a couple of rolls of SAE's from 2004 sitting around, so I hauled them down to the local coin store. Here is what I got for them.

My first venture into the toned world ! Please guess the grade

(in spite of the lousy images)

1929_D_SLQ_image.jpg

And just for fun with the leftovers:

1908_raw_image.jpg

thx, GAB grin.gif

I had a couple of rolls of SAE's from 2004 sitting around, so I hauled them down to the local coin store. Here is what I got for them.

My first venture into the toned world ! Please guess the grade

(in spite of the lousy images)

1929_D_SLQ_image.jpg

And just for fun with the leftovers:

1908_raw_image.jpg

thx, GAB grin.gif

Boy! Those are both beauties. The SLQ looks at least 65+ FH and the Indian looks to be 63-64. Are those scratches or hairlines on the Indian (both obv and rev) or just lint. confused.gif

Thanks to all who replied. Yes TomB, it must have been cool to get REAL coins back in the day !!

As for this question:

Are those scratches or hairlines on the Indian (both obv and rev) or just lint. confused.gif

There is one scratch on the reverse that arcs down from the top of the eagles head to IN, then up thru the I of AMERICA. It almost looks like a die crack, like I am used to seeing on Capped Bust coinage, in that it appears to go under the top of IN ??

As for the surface(field) of the $5 indian, it seems to be very coarse - almost matte like? I am not at all familiar with this series, so I am not sure what it is suppose to look like. This coin was is in a cardboard 2X2, and was graded AU by the dealer - who is usually quite conservative. It just really caught my eye - so I snagged it.

Here is the full slab image of the SLQ, which gives a better picture of the lustre. I am pretty sure it would be worth cracking out and resubmitting, which I may do someday when it comes time to sell. I bought it mostly for the looks, as it just jumped out and hollered at me when I saw it ! acclaim.gif

1929_D_SLQ_slab.jpg

Imagine getting coinage like that in change everyday? cloud9.gif

Must have been nice. thumbsup2.gif

SLQs are my #1 most attractive US coin design.

It's in a very old ANACS holder to boot. I have broken out coins that I purchased in these holders and they have actually upgraded at PCGS and NGC

It sure does seem to be a nice MS64 to me - but again I am not experienced with this series. I may have to break it out just to study it a little more, and see how the SWEET

toning develops. I have always had a "weak spot" for the SLQ's, but this is the first I ever

saw hands on that I just had to have!!

It just goes to show that SAE's are good for something - especially if they are worth 2x -3x

what you paid for them!! headbang.gif

thx, GAB