• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Multi-Coin Holder

20 posts in this topic

What do folks think of the new NGC multi-coin holder premiering on Coin Vault tonight? Here's what it looks like:

209909-NGC%20Multi-Coin%20Holder%20%28Front%29.JPG

It bears the new label (under discussion in a separate thread) and retains the white insert. An interesting feature, however, is the use of a translucent secondary insert around each coin. An NGC grader (Bill Conroy) appearing as a Coin Vault guest says that the secondary inserts allow the use of a single size white insert while accommodating any mix of different sized coins in the individual cells.

I know that many folks on this forum don't enjoy collecting modern coins, but this seems like a really nice idea for people who'd prefer to keep and display sets (such as modern proof sets) of related (and identically graded) coins together. The catch, of course, is that it appears that the coins must be the same grade. I'm curious as to your reactions!

Beijim

P.S. There will be an NGC storage box for these holders appearing at a later date.

589a8afa26419_209909-NGCMulti-CoinHolder(Front).JPG.d3942fdcece8b769c1082b11a6f679d0.JPG

It's interesting to see that the hologram is not on the holder. I bet Conder will have a field day with this one. I'm rather indifferent to the holder. It looks pretty big and clumsy and possibly easy to break. It is nice for displaying, though.

Wow, great point about the hologram. I totally missed this (duh). Now I'm curious as to why it's missing. I mean, this isn't an accident.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Beijim

So if I want each coin graded separately, is there an extra fee? What about the serial number, does that correspond to each coin? What happens if one coin develops spots, do all coins get downgraded? What if one coin doesn't make the grade, do they not slab any of them? Many questions. 893frustrated.gif

TRUTH

No hologram is disturbing but we really don't know yet how hard the case is to crack. How big etc.

Cameron Kiefer

Where did these photos come from? Maybe the lack of the hologram indicates pictures of a prototype??.. 893blahblah.gif

HRLaser, I'm thinking you may be correct. The photos are from the ShopAtHomeTV.com product offering. If you look at the serial number, it's clearly special because the invoice number is 1234567. So perhaps this is just an early display copy and not the finished, shipping holder.

Beijim

Truth, don't know the answers to all your very good questions, but I can hazard a reply on the serial numbers. The way it shows on the sample is:

1234567-(001-005)

I'm guessing that the individual serial numbers apply to the coins in left to right order. So, for example, if you wanted to enter the Kennedy half dollar in a registry set, the coin's serial number (in this example) would be 1234567-004.

Beijim

P.S. I just made a post in Ask NGC about some of these issues.

I think it's a good idea and would be very good for the US Mint Sets from the '50s where so many of the coins are toned. I like it. smile.gif

Do all the coins in the holder have to be a certain grade or are they going to individually assign a grade to each coin if there are differences in the grades.

Interesting idea. I just wonder how you will be able to get your coins slabbed like this and what are the requirements?

Might be a PITA, but it is an interesting idea.

I really like the initial look of the holder myself, and can imagine how nice a run of 36-42 or 50-64 proof sets would look all together in a nicely made box(which will be interesting to see also.)

Interesting idea. I just wonder how you will be able to get your coins slabbed like this and what are the requirements?

Might be a PITA, but it is an interesting idea.

I agree, but I've yet to really see an early 50's proof set that has all the coins matching in grade. -Probably will work though for all the later stuff.

Can you imagine though sending in a set and having the full set rejected because, say the Lincoln is only PR68DCAM?!

shocked.gif

I like it - but I would ask the same questions the others have. I would use something like this for those years where original Mint or Proof sets are simply not available. It would also be nice for duplicate sets.

But me being me - I'd always have to keep at least one original set wink.gif

Neat holder. I image they'll have to grade the whole set the same as the lowest coin in it. Hope they don't put matching serial numbers on both halves, as shown on the sample pic, though. Makes inventory management a pain. You end up counting the same item twice. ICG signature slabs cause me the same grief.

So I'm watching the Coin Vault on Shop at Home at midnight (don't tell anyone), and there's the new muti-holder, with three proof eagles in it. shocked.gif That's one big hologram BTW laugh.gif

sah.jpg

The NGC newsletter stated that the multi-coin holder can house multiple-graded coins or all of the same grade.

Problem is storage and display since it is so irregular in size unless it is the same dimensions as the proof sets.

Saw the gold eagle sets this morning. I like the holder, personally. Just need new NGC boxes to hold them.

sah2.jpg

Sorry about the image quality; the captures are huge at full res and AOL only gives me 2 megs of space to work with frown.gif