• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doubled Monticello

17 posts in this topic

I found this coin in a roll of Jeffersons that I bought at an auction for face value. I sent it off and had it certified. It is only a VF25, but to me it was a very nice find. I would like any information that anyone can come up with on the history of this coin. Even internet sites with info would be appreciated!....Thanks, Ken dm1.jpgdm2.jpgdm3.jpg

I'm sorry, Ken, but I can't seem to get the images to load on my screen. But, I have seen pictures of doubled Monticellos before. Can't remember when or where since I seldom pay much attention to this series. (Sorry, Hoot!)

EVP

Grasping at straws here, but try renaming your files so they have a suffix, like JPG or BMP (or whatever the correct suffix is supposed to be).

EVP

It looks like it might be FS 5-022 also known as Breen 2665. It is listed in The Cherrypickers' Guide, Third Edition, as having a high interest factor with 501-1,000 pieces known. It is a doubled die reverse classified as 1-R-III. It also states that "Reliable reports indicate some four or five Mint State rolls exist, off the current market." Nice find. smile.gif

PQSeated, I was actually looking for that specific coin in the roll I bought at the auction. However, until the morning of the auction I didn't even know such a coin existed. When I got up that morning, I sat down with a cup of coffee and was going through the auction listings and referencing prices out of the Redbook to the items listed. I noticed a price for 1939 Doubled Monticello and made a note to get the roll of nickels if the price did not get too high. At the auction nobody put up a bid on the roll except me. So I got the roll for face value. When I got home my first priority was to go through the roll. The very last coin in the roll was the doubled Monticello!

It made me happy.....Ken grin.gif

This coin is surprisingly tough. I've found only two in about 1000 coins. It is reported to be rare in high grade since it wasn't found until sometime after issue.

Nice find Ken! I have the cherry picker's fourth edition and it say's...."MS64 - $450; MS65 - $700 A very popular variety, this doubled die is scarce in mint state. Several rolls have come on the market in recent years" They list no value for lower condition coins. mike smile.gif

Great find Ken! I've looked for these whenever/wherever I've found '39 Jeffs, but have not yet had the luck. They are a tough find, as cladking indicated. Tom gave the Cherrypicker's info, and the Wexler info is WDDR-001, class iv offset hub doubling. Wexler values a coin in XF (the lowest grade he lists) at $100. I'd say you don't know until you sell it!

As for EVP: "Can't remember when or where since I seldom pay much attention to this series. (Sorry, Hoot!)"

Thank goodness! All I'd need is competition at your level! Kingofthejungle, cladking and others are bad enough! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Hoot

Congratulations Ken, great find!

From the pictures, the obverse looks VF but the reverse looks VG or less.

Interestingly enough, I was informed that PCGS will instantly know a coin's grade based solely from the obverse. Then they will check the reverse to see if it will bring down the grade. But of course, on Ken's coin, they had to check the reverse for the doubling if that's what was written on the submission form. But has anyone else heard of this grading method. I have always thought the lower grade of the two sides warrants the grade of the coin.

Leo

Leo,

In grading, the obverse generally carries the greatest weight. Yes, the reverse can adversely affect the grade. But, the obverse is still King.

EVP

Hi EVP

I guess I'm accustumed to MS65/66 split grading. I grew up with it, didn't everyone?

At the moment, I find this new information unusual and out of the ordinary on how I grade. Right now, I can't say whether it's right or wrong but if the obverse of a coin grades MS67 and the reverse is a 66 or 65 then the coin should be graded accordingly to the lesser grades of the reverses.

My other concern is, are coins being rushed through the certification grading process with little attention given to the condition of the reverses, say 5 seconds for the obverse and 2 for the reverse.

But as you pointed out, the obverse is king, what if the split grade favors the obverse. I would rather think that if the reverse has a noticeable nick then it should affect the obverse grade.

As I write this, market grading comes to mind, all I know is, it's not the way I have learned to grade coins.

Leo