• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage or Superior Auctions?

13 posts in this topic

I am considering SELLING coins via Heritage or Superior. All are NGC/PCGS certified. Comments appreciated from anyone with selling experiences with these firms. Thanks.

Depending on the Material. I will assume it is auction worthy material. By that I mean not just common stuff, but coins that require a bigger stage. I would go with Hertitage of the 2. They seem to have a very good track record. I am from the Dallas area which they operate from and I have been to thier place. Its very nice and well run.

It's my opinion that Heritage auctions play out to a wider and deeper audience, though the pieces you are selling might not be well suited to Heritage. Superior, on the other hand, has a very sloppy reputation for some aspects of their business.

I have 27 toned coins in the upcoming Heritage FUN auctions......and considering the difficulty Heritage has in imaging toned coins I still went with them because of the exposure my coins would see. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Right now, Heritage has everything going for it. Superior has nothing going for it. This may change in the future, but right now I'd not consider Superior.

Right now, Heritage has everything going for it. Superior has nothing going for it. This may change in the future, but right now I'd not consider Superior.
I agree.

The auction coins that I bought from Superior had no return policy. Sales were final. I prefer Heritage and have some coins with them now, despite their poor copper coin imaging.

Well, Superior is local to me, and I liked their service. Superior was very responsive, whereas Heritage took too much time to reply to my inquiry. Watch the next Long Beach auction for some of my coins! Highights will be a 1911-D $2.50 Indian (at PCGS now, should come back a MS-63 or better), and a couple proof Morgans (also at PCGS).

Then again, maybe Ebay is worthwhile. My Ebay name is Jimbucks. Email me at jimbucks@yahoo.com for an inventory of coins and currency I may be offering.

Superior has really degenerated. I don't know why. Somethings wrong with them, and I can't put my finger on it. They do sell a lot of junk, but I have seen some really great coins on there too, and recently. I've even picked up a couple of killer coins from them this past year.

I got a bum coin recently from Heritage, they refused to take it back because it was TPG graded.

My experience dates back about three years, so bear that in mind. I have used both auction services, and had better luck with Superior. Now, be aware that the material I usually consign is of course, earlier material. If I had generic coins ("widgets"), I'd go with Heritage. But I did NOT have good success with early coins at Heritage, and have turned down all their requests since then for additional consignments. However, I am planning to send a few coins to Superior within the next six months.

One important aspect is that I was able to retain a significantly larger percentage of the proceeds from Superior than Heritage. Had they been more on par, then I would have rated Heritage much closer to Superior, almost to the point of being equal.

Again, mine is a very isolated example, and doesn't necessarily present enough data to compel a choice either way. I can only say that my limited experience has been better with Superior.

One last thought. Your best bet might end up being "neither". Depending on the material, you might do even better by consigning your coins to a reliable dealer. Contrary to popular thought right now - not to mention the ridiculous level of advertising promted by Heritage - consigning to Heritage or Superior or any other major auction house by no means guarantees your best results. Any of a number of dealers will far outperform an auction venue, given certain kinds of coins. It might be helpful if we knew what you were planning to sell.