• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a double date?

15 posts in this topic

I see doubling on the bottom of each number but the 1 and the last 8 is the easiest to see. is this doubling, damage, or machine doubling, i have never seen machine doubling on a ag coin before

P.S. this is a quarter

48320-doubledate.jpg.29e2f09e0796eb1fc779d0d8349c44fd.jpg

I have no idea whether you're getting old or not, but it's definitely too blurry. There definitely appeared to be signs of something under the final digit, though. Whether that's mint-made or man-made is a good question.

I took a look at Breen's book last night, and he mentions a variety of 1898 quarter that has obvious repunching in the last two digits, calling the variety very rare. Unfortunately, there is no illustration...

• Administrator

Technically speaking, if it's just you and the coin sitting at home, then no. It's not even a date, much less a double date. Perhaps if you brought along an indian head penny, and some kind of a liberty coin and went to the movies and dinner...

Arch

Ok. That was bad. I apologize.

Arch:

EVERY time I saw the subject of this thread, my mind worked the same way yours did. However, I had the common decency to not post this thought!

Mark

P.S.: laugh.gif

Omigosh! I *just* got Arch's joke...

Where was my head?!? And, should we analyze that too? On behalf of all small cent collectors, I'm deeply offended. You callous boob!

smile.gif

EVP