• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Handling raw coins

17 posts in this topic

What's the best way to handle raw coins? I've read that some people use gloves. Are there specific kinds of gloves that are better than others?

What about getting some dust off the coin? Would compressed air work? Or is something else prefered?

Most people use cotton gloves. Polyester would be better because it does not shed fibers like cotton. You can use the compressed dry air cans to blow dust off coins. Photograhers use these compressed air cans to clean negatives.

I've never used gloves. Hold the coin carefully by the rims over a felt or velvet display pad and have patience; you won't encounter problems.

Nitrile (non-Latex) or polyurethane gloves are hypoallergenic. Many people are allergic to latex partly because the rubber monomer is compounded with formaldehyde and sometimes urea. Also, latex gloves are normally powdered with talcum powder or sometimes with corn starch. Make sure, if you use powdered surgical gloves, to wash the powder off the outside. Do not use PVC gloves.

Also, latex gloves are normally powdered with talcum powder or sometimes with corn starch. Make sure, if you use powdered surgical gloves, to wash the powder off the outside.

That's good to know because I seem to have the powdered gloves. I'll have to find some of the Nitrile gloves. Thank You. laugh.gif

Many people are allergic to latex partly because the rubber monomer is compounded with formaldehyde and sometimes urea.

Thanks for that tid-bit of information, Charlie. Being a hospital worker, I've always been a little courious about that. It seems that most hospitals have gone to non-latex gloves now.

I'm allergic to it, which is why I use nitrile gloves. Whenever I contact latex, my eyes immediately go all itchy, irritated, and dry, making me miserable for a good 36-48 hours. That's not as bad of a reaction as many other people have, so on that note, I'm lucky - still it's a rotten way to feel for a day or two so I do my best to avoid it. Ugh.

I don't use gloves. Just handle them carefully by the rim.

Here's an important tip, though: Handle a coin over a cloth, or some other soft surface, in case you accidentally drop it. A three foot drop onto a hard flooring surface is plenty enough impact to cause a nasty rim ding.

Having been medical device engineer and manufacturing executive for (40) years sometimes comes in handy. Mostly the cheap imports are the problem. American medical device companies converted to nitrile when the FDA warning on latex use came out (in about 1998 I think).